The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

poll: favorite "new" wine producing country

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

which is your favorite "new" wine producing country

Poll ended at Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:05 pm

Chile
6%
Australia
12%
Uruguay
9%
South Africa
27%
Argentina
18%
New Zealand
27%

Total votes : 33
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

poll: favorite "new" wine producing country

by Alejandro Audisio » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:05 pm

I realize that there are many possible definitions to the concept of "new" wine producing nation, but with everyone's permission Im going to use the term in a rather lax manner.

Please share with us which is your favorite non-traditional producer of wines according to your current buying/consumption habits.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: poll: favorite "new" wine producing country

by Tim York » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:12 pm

The USA are not "new" ?! They would get my vote.

Hasn't, for example, South Africa has been producer wine as long as them? And without the regrettable hiatus of prohibition.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:13 pm

I live in the USA and buy more wines from Canada than all the countries you have listed combined.
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:27 pm

Tim York wrote:The USA are not "new" ?! They would get my vote.

Hasn't, for example, South Africa has been producer wine as long as them? And without the regrettable hiatus of prohibition.

Tim, you raise an excellent point. This is why I cautioned in my post above that Im using the term "new" in a very lax manner.... just to give you another example, even though Argentina and Uruguay have been making wines for centuries, they are still considered very much part of the new wine world. I guess we should coin a term new to the international wine market or something similar.
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:29 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I live in the USA and buy more wines from Canada than all the countries you have listed combined.

Hello Howie.... I must confess that outside of the ice wines, my knowledge of Canadian wines is ZERO. How are Canadian reds.... what are the predominant red varietals that are grown up north?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:34 pm

British Columbia wines are basically a northern extension of Washington State. Cabernet Sauvignon, Cab Franc, Merlot. Ontario grows some nice Pinot Noir and in good years can make good Cab Franc. They also grow some red hybrids such as Foch and Baco (See posts from PaulB). However, Ontario is much more of a white wine region.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:09 pm

That depends on you definition of "new." We've been drinking wines from all of them for a least ten years if not twenty or more; with one exception. That exception is Uruguay, and that is only because they have been below the radar screen. In actuality they have been producing wines for a long, long time.

You probably should have nominated Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, and Indonesia. They are new. We didn't even mention India, China, and Japan (besides Sake), as they are far ahead of those.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:15 pm

I chose Argentina, only because we see few NZ reds on the east coast, except for the pinots and I prefer Oregon to NZ at this point. It's a close call for me on those two countries though.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:44 pm

South Africa, IMO makes the most interesting wines of the bunch. The top producers have an uncanny ability to remind one of France without losing any individual identity. Plus, I've always had a soft spot for Pinotage. It's sooo wrong, it HAS to be right!

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:35 am

Alejandro Audisio wrote:I realize that there are many possible definitions to the concept of "new" wine producing nation, but with everyone's permission Im going to use the term in a rather lax manner.

Please share with us which is your favorite non-traditional producer of wines according to your current buying/consumption habits.

It's a tough call, Alejandro, for the reasons others have stated. But both because of personal preference and availability (and that one of my favorite local restaurants is Argentine, and they have a good wine list), Argentina definitely tops that list of countries in my buying and drinking habits.
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:19 pm

Thanks for everybodys feedback!!!

Anybody else care to participate?
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:11 pm

Well, I don't really understand the point of this. I suppose for it to be a 'favorite' then there must be enough wines available for you in the market where you live, therefore it can't be too new otherwise it wouldn't have got the exposure and the exporting clout.

I think China could be classed as a major new wine producer, but we don't see too much of therir wine [yet] in my local stores. Then we have South Africa which has been making wine and exporting wine continuously for 300 years yet have come fresh to current winedrinkers in the past 10 years as a result of ending of sanctions.

I was drinking Argentina wines some 30 years ago - my aunt had one as a wedding reception wine - so thats hardly new to me.

And what about many US States that have only been gearing up after their historic base was wiped out by prohibition? e.g Texas? What about Canada? What about California which only came a power in the wine world in the 70's? Couldn't that be classed as new?

I suppose tho' you are only asking about our faves from the list you have selected, and on bottles bought, for me it is South Africa followed by New Zealand
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:It's a tough call, Alejandro, for the reasons others have stated. But both because of personal preference and availability (and that one of my favorite local restaurants is Argentine, and they have a good wine list), Argentina definitely tops that list of countries in my buying and drinking habits.

Robin - We agree on something else?!! At least we still have politics to fight about! Cheers! James
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:43 am

Peter May wrote:Well, I don't really understand the point of this. I suppose for it to be a 'favorite' then there must be enough wines available for you in the market where you live, therefore it can't be too new otherwise it wouldn't have got the exposure and the exporting clout.

I think China could be classed as a major new wine producer, but we don't see too much of therir wine [yet] in my local stores. Then we have South Africa which has been making wine and exporting wine continuously for 300 years yet have come fresh to current winedrinkers in the past 10 years as a result of ending of sanctions.

I was drinking Argentina wines some 30 years ago - my aunt had one as a wedding reception wine - so thats hardly new to me.

And what about many US States that have only been gearing up after their historic base was wiped out by prohibition? e.g Texas? What about Canada? What about California which only came a power in the wine world in the 70's? Couldn't that be classed as new?

I suppose tho' you are only asking about our faves from the list you have selected, and on bottles bought, for me it is South Africa followed by New Zealand

Peter, thanks for your feedback. I didnt have any "scientific" point with posting this poll, I was just curious to know how well known/regarded some of these "new" wine producing countries are.

Have you continued drinking wine from Argentina in the 30 years that followed that family wedding?
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:14 pm

Alejandro Audisio wrote:
Have you continued drinking wine from Argentina in the 30 years that followed that family wedding?

I have, but I regret to say that Argentina hasn't formed a major part of my cellar. And just checking now (thanks to CellarTracker) I see that I have drunk just 4 in the past 6 months and have currently just 2 bottles in my cellar.
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:03 pm

If the "fruit-bomb" style thats putting you off, then I suggest you look at some of the wines that are being produced in the south of the country (Patagonia). In Mendoza, one producer that doesnt go over the top is Bodega Benegas. Benegas makes their name with Bordeaux-style blends, and doesnt have Malbec as their only focus point. I would suggest you give their wines a try.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:27 pm

My favorite "new" wine producing country is Spain. Bierzo, Toro, Cigales, Yecla, Priorat, Jumilla, Ribero del Guadiana...so many new DOCs...
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:13 pm

For me, South Africa is the most interesting "new" wine producer. Argentina would be second.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:43 pm

Hi Howie,

I live in Canada and I probably buy more wines from Argentina, Australia, or New Zealand than Canada. They main reason for this is that I buy and drink mostly red wines. Canadian reds are good and getting better (especially pinots) but are still not nearly as consistent vintage to vintage as the other countries listed. Whites, especially rieslings, gewurzs and chardonnay, tend to be much better and more consistent across vintages in Canada.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:00 am

Alejandro Audisio wrote:If the "fruit-bomb" style thats putting you off, then I suggest you look at some of the wines that are being produced in the south of the country (Patagonia). In Mendoza, one producer that doesnt go over the top is Bodega Benegas. Benegas makes their name with Bordeaux-style blends, and doesnt have Malbec as their only focus point. I would suggest you give their wines a try.

There is no one reason, it is just that there is so many wines and too few days to drink them, and a cellar that needs drinking as wines age.

I am trying to reduce my stock of wines, but I seem to regularly buy a case of wine on impulse and then I need another couple of weeks to reduce my stock level back to what it was.

A wine I have just bought though is Colome Estate Malbec blend which I tasted at a Jancis Robinson event. After having it on order for a couple of months the 2005 vintage was delivered rather than the 2004 requested.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:56 am

Tom N. wrote:Hi Howie,

I live in Canada and I probably buy more wines from Argentina, Australia, or New Zealand than Canada. They main reason for this is that I buy and drink mostly red wines. Canadian reds are good and getting better (especially pinots) but are still not nearly as consistent vintage to vintage as the other countries listed. Whites, especially rieslings, gewurzs and chardonnay, tend to be much better and more consistent across vintages in Canada.
I agree with you Tom. However, I seem to drink a lot more whites than reds. I also make a lot more white. For instance, this year I have 50 gallons of white varietals (Riesling, Chard, Vidal, Cayuga and Vignoles, 20 gallons of red (Foch and Leon Millot) and 10 gallons of Rose (Steuben). I like to buy wines from Ontario and the Finger Lakes to compare with mine.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:21 am

My answer is New Zealand for the Sauvignon Blanc wines (I've only found a couple N.Z. Pinot Noirs I like) and Australia for the red wines (Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon and blended reds). South Africa might figure in if I gain more exposure to their wines. I was quite impressed with a Sauvignon Blanc from South Africa and would like to try more Cabernet Sauvignon wines from there.