The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A great QPR-red

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Oslo

WTN: A great QPR-red

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:41 am

Marcillac Lo sang del Païs 2005, Domaine du Cros
Made from 100% mansois. Dark purple-red colour. Fruity nose with grassy, herbacious hints. Hints of lead-pencil. Fruity and juicy wine in the mouth. Very fine fruit. Concentrated and young. Dark fruits, herbs and spices. Reminiscent of cabernet franc. But with a greater body and more fruit. Deep. Some chalky hints. Fresh acidic structure which bodes for a good food-wine. The finish is slightly rough with light tannins. This is very good for the price and a QPR-winner. My guess is this turns into my house-red for 2007.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: A great QPR-red

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:21 am

Sounds interesting. Never heard of the producer or the grape. What country and region does it come from?
no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Oslo

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:31 am

Marcillac is an AOC-area. It is in southwest of France. About 50 miles east of Cahors. There are just a tiny bit of vineyards left here. The grape is locally known as mansois, it is a little more known under the name fer servadou.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:34 am

Marcillac is a small AOC in France -- not entirely sure of my geography but I think it's roughly south central France -- a bit north of Languedoc, west of Rhone and east of Bordeaux perhaps?

I just had this producer's 2004 and absolutely loved it! I would agree that it's "[r]eminiscent of cabernet franc" but with hefty dose of pepper added to it. Very food-friendly. This now makes the third or fourth vintage of this bottling I've tried and I loved every one. If these wines were more readily available, I could easily see them becoming a house red for me as well -- though I imagine given the size of the AOC and the non-Parkerized style, I should feel fortunate that any bottles make their way across the Atlantic at all. Great QPR, too.