The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: JCCllrs Syrah MusciVnyd '08...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: JCCllrs Syrah MusciVnyd '08...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:40 am

Tried this last night:
1. JCCllrs Syrah MusciVnyd/AlexVlly (15.5%; www.JCCellars.com; "You'll never know unless you try it") Oakland 2008: Dark color w/ slight bricking; strong blackberry/Syrah/very spicy some toasty/charred/oak plummy bit alcoholic rather attractive nose; bit soft lush/rich/ripe strong blackberry/spicy/Syrah/bit boysenberry some Zin-like/blackberry bit earthy slight alcoholic some toasty/charred/oak flavor w/ light smooth tannins; very long/lingering very ripe/blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry/spicy some toasty/charred/oak bit hot/alcoholic slight Rhonish/roasted bit complex finish w/ light smooth/ripe tannins; shows a bit of the alcohol but has developed better than I expect; still loads of ripe fruit; a bit lacking in structure but very good drinking.
alcoholic light toasty/oak nose; soft/lush/ripe strong blackberry/Syrah light earthy light toasty/oak pleasant/
simple flavor w/ light/gentle tannins; bit alcoholic some strong blackberry/Syrah bit earthy toasty/oak finish
w/ light/soft tannins; almost more like Zin than Syrah; a pleasant enough Syrah but just that. $35.00

Jeff has a distinct style of his Syrahs that emphasizes huge fruit, lots of extract and oak, lots of ripeness. A style that I have sorta lost interest in. Again, I was expecting a hot/alcoholic mess for this wine. It was not. Probably as good as it's going to get and the alcohol will only become more dominant.
I have, of course, followed JeffCohn from the very start, from his winemaking days w/ KentRosenblum. I once belonged to his wine club but dropped off as I tired of that style. I should arrange a visit w/ Jeff the next trip I make to Calif and revisit his wines.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: JCCllrs Syrah MusciVnyd '08...(short/boring)

by Brian K Miller » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:51 am

He is a nice guy, and I was briefly a member of his wine club, but:

Jeff has a distinct style of his Syrahs that emphasizes huge fruit, lots of extract and oak, lots of ripeness. A style that I have sorta lost interest in.

I still have a few bottles. Given my mediocre warm storage, I probably need to either try them or gift them. :roll:
Again, I was expecting a hot/alcoholic mess for this wine. It was not. Probably as good as it's going to get and the alcohol will only become more dominant.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach