The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Meroi Verduzzo Friulano '12...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Meroi Verduzzo Friulano '12...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:46 am

Had this last night at BBB w/ dessert:
1. Meroi Verduzzo Friulano DOC: Friuli Colli Orientali (13.5%; www.MeroiDaVino.com; T.ElentyImports; 100% Verduzzo) Meroi Davino di Paolo Meroi/Buttrio/Friuli 2012: Deep gold color; intense passito/grapey/orangey/honeyed very fragrant beautiful nose; bit soft very sweet intense grapey/orangey/passito/honeyed slight earthy beautiful flavor; very long/lingering orangey/guava/grapey/passito very sweet finish; a beautiful example of a Friuli passito w/ many yrs ahead of it. $49.50/500ml (DiVino)
The few dry Verduzzos I've tried of been not too thrilling. This is the second Verduzzo Passito I've tried. The first was two yrs ago at Ronco di Cialla. Ivan Rapuzzo grows a bit of Verduzzo & I made the comment that I'd never had a Verduzzo that much impressed me. He immedaitely went to the cellar and pulled out an '83 version. It was a sensational/complex mature dessert wine not too unlike a Sauternes. I have little doubt that this Meroi will age just as well.
These two Passito Verduzzo are as fine as any Friulian Picolits I've had...and much cheaper.
Tom