The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Kloster Neuburg Zierfandler/Rotgipfler '15..(short/bori

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Kloster Neuburg Zierfandler/Rotgipfler '15..(short/bori

by TomHill » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Tried this wine Fri night when I wanted a refreshing white:
1. Stift Kloster Neuburg 50% Zierfandler/Rotgipfler WoO: Thermenregion/Gumpoldskirchen (13%; www.Stift-Klosterneuburg.at; Qualitatswein/halbtrocken) Klosterneuburg 2015: Pale gold color w/ lots of tiny bubbles (CO2 refreshed); attractive floral/mango/pineapple light earthy pleasant nose; soft bit frizzante off-dry light mango/floral/pineapple rather dull/vapid flavor; med.short fairly off-dry (2%) soft light pineapple/mango/floral slight earthy/metallic simple finish; pleasant enough nose but refreshed CO2 can't save this dull as dishwater wine; shades of BlueNun.
$23.00 (SFW&S)
When I was first trying Austrian wines, Gumpoldskirchen was ubiquitous and a GrunerVeltliner was seldom to be found. Then along came the ethlyene glycol scandal in 1985 and virtually all Austrian wines disappeared from the US market. It took almost a decade for them to recover. But Gumpoldskirchen never did seem to recover and you seldom see it around anymore.
We visited the Kloster Neuburg facility two yrs ago. It is a very impressive facility loaded w/ history...absolutely beautiful/magnificant. The Stift has played a very important role in the Austrian viticulture story. They make a large range of wines. However, I found them to be a bit too industrial/institutional to my taste.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Kloster Neuburg Zierfandler/Rotgipfler '15..(short/

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:34 pm

There are good, weird grapes, and there are bad weird grapes.

Zierfandler and Rotgipfler fall into the latter category.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well....

by TomHill » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:45 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:There are good, weird grapes, and there are bad weird grapes.

Zierfandler and Rotgipfler fall into the latter category.

Well, David...that may very well be true. I've never had an Austrian Rotgipfler nor Zierfandler
that moved me much. Mostly pretty dull.
However, I'm not willing to damn these two grapes forever. It could very well be that they could
be planted in Calif and make some interesting/superb wines. We just don't know. Given the
right locale and the right winemaking, they could very well make something quite good.
If you recall, at one time, GreyRiesling was regarded as a crap grape, because of wine made at the hands of
Sebastiani and Inglenook. Most all of it was ripped out. Now there are some pretty interesting
Trousseau Gris's being made from these old vnyds.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:59 pm

You are really reaching Tom.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:48 pm

Tom, why oh why do you always want to see such varietals planted in Calif. I just do not get it.
If I want a nice Gruner V for example, why should I consider one from over here?
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Because....

by TomHill » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Tom, why oh why do you always want to see such varietals planted in Calif. I just do not get it.
If I want a nice Gruner V for example, why should I consider one from over here?

Well, Bob.....I'm terribly curious to see what those varieties can do in a location w/ such a blessed
climate as Calif. Or the Piemonte. Or NewZealand. Or the Savoie. If I want just another GV to drink,
Austria is the choice. But sometimes I wan a Calif GV. Or an OR Nebbiolo. Maybe, someday,
an Amador Rotgipfler. Do you have no curiosity what it would do in Amador??
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:16 pm

Gruner has been panted in a number of places in the USA. $10 Austrian liters are better than all of them by a long shot.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Tom, why oh why do you always want to see such varietals planted in Calif. I just do not get it.

Maybe he wants to pay 3x for the CA version compared to wherever it is normally grown?

On a recent trip to Spain I had some nice wines made from the likes of old-vine Airén and Garnacha Tintorera (aka Alicante Bouchet, the grape that cannot even be used in AOC wines in France), some other 'garbage' grapes.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:25 pm

But Joe, it's such a privilege to pay $40 for the equivalent of $15 wine.