The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some New Mostly Calif Reds..(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some New Mostly Calif Reds..(long/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:23 pm

We tasted tonight (9/13/17) some More New Wines:
1. WindGap TrousseauGris Fanucchi-WoodRd Vnyd (11.8%; Plntd: 1981; Frmtd: concrete eggs; 715 cs;
www.WindGapWines.com) Sebastapol 2016
: Light gold color; rather fragrant apple/floral/bit green
GreyRiesling slight stony/chalky very light phenolic nose; quite tart/tangy green apple/appley/slight
floral bit earthy/stony/chalky somewhat neutral flavor w/ slight phenolic character; med.long slight
phenolic/resiny rather green apple/slight floral slight stony/chalky somewhat neutral finish; pleasant
enough but just that; reminds a bit of the old Sebastiani GreyRieslings. $26.00
w/ light tannic bite; very long/lingering somewhat phenolic/resiny rather orangey/honeyed tart/tangy
finish w/ light tannic bite; quite an attractive & interesting ramato. $30.00
earthy/loamy light spicy/cinammon flavor w/ light tannins; very long/lingering spicy/cinammon/strawberry/
cranberry light slight earthy/loamy/Lodi/mushroomy bit tart/zippy finish w/ light tannins; a very unusual
rendition of Corvina but an exceedingly perfumed pretty expression of that grape. $25.00
quite grapey/Bardolino-like balanced quite pleasant finish w/ light tannins; a rather pleasant grapey red
much like a Bardolino but a bit on the simple side. $22.00 (CB)
rustic/mtn red flavor w/ light bitey tannins; very long/lingering spicy/strawberry light earthy/dusty bit
rustic finish w/ light angular tannins; resembles a lot a Jura Trousseau but w/ more fragrance and less
earthy/loamy character. $30.00
smooth tannins; very long/lingering very spicy/strawberry/cranberry/grapey light earthy/dusty fairly
tart finish w/ light gentle tannins; rather lighter in style but absolutely packed w/ flavor; a stunning
Trousseau. $38.00 (BWM)
modern-style flavor w/ modest smooth tannins; med.long soft strong blackberry/boysenberry/black cherry
cola slightly rustic finish w/ some smooth/ripe tannins; a bit lacking in structure; very Zin-like and
made in a modern style; fairly priced at $24.95 (BDW)
nose; soft bit alcoholic/fumey some blackberry/Syrah rather earthy/loamy/hot-climate somewhat coarse/rustic
flavor w/ light rough tannins; med.short somewhat soft lacking structure blackberry/Syrah coarse/rustic
some alcoholic/fumey finish w/ light coarse tannins; clearly a hot-climate red but mildly interesting.
$15.00 (DiV)
light pencilly/oak beautiful flavor w/ light gentle tannins; very long bright/raspberry/strawberry/Zin/
very spicy dusty/OV light pencilly/oak finish w/ light smooth tannins; tastes like a Zin made by a Pinot
producer; reminds a lot of the old Fetzer Zins w/o the ton of Am.oak; a really lovely/pretty Zin at a
very good price. $30.00
raspberry/Zin light earthy/dusty/OV slight pencilly nose; rather tart/tangy light bright/raspberry/Zin
lithe/wiry light pencilly/oak slight Mendo/tomatoey flavor w/ light tangy tannins; long some spicy bright/
raspberry/Zin light earthy/Mendo tomatoey some dusty/OV finish w/ light tannins; on the lighter side of
Zin but a pretty rendition of Zin. $34.00
Pinotish-like fairly spicy/peppery flavor w/ light smooth/ripe tannins; very long slight pungent strong
blackberry/Pinotish rather earthy/loamy/mushroomy finish w/ light smooth/polished tannins; very much
like a Burgenland St.L or Blaufrankisch but not as rustic; a very good StL but just seems a bit too
polished. $36.00 (CB)
quite dusty/OV slight charred/oak somewhat coarse/rustic/old-timey flavor w/ light coarse tannins;
very long light peppery/Charbono earthy/rustic rather dusty/OV light charred/oak finish w/ light rough
tannins; a rather classic/coarse/rustic Charbono that reminds some of the old Inglenook Charbonos w/o
their refined character. $36.00 (CB)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
More stuff from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. Sansigot: A indigenous variety of the Island of Krk. The name means "wild roses" that grown on the
hillsides of that island. Clearly a variety they should be planting all up & down the coast of Calif.
w/ a ton of new Am.oak. Probably the best Zeni Zins were made by JedSteele in the late '70's at Edmeades.
Of late, I've not seen many ZeniRanch Zins around. Though in a lighter than Zeni Zins of old, it great
to see Brian return Zeni Zin to greatness. This is Bryans first attempt at making Tribidrag, I believe.
Every bit as good as I expected it to be.
tasted.
at Vinovations some yrs ago and was impressed by what he was doing. I need to re-read his book.
The RicciVnyd in the Carneros has the only planting of StLaurent in Calif, I believe. The first to make
StL from these grapes was MattRorick/Forlorn-Hope, which I have liked quite a bit over the yrs he's been
making it. So I was excited to find Clark's StL and was eager to try it. I was impressed with this wine.
It spoke strongly of Burgenland StL made by one of the more modern producers, like RolandVelich/Moric
or HannesSchuster/RosiSchuster.
That said, Clark's StL seemed a bit too polished and perfect. It lacked the sorta rustic character
I usually find in Burgenland StL (and in Matt's StL). Sorta like comparing an iPhone8 next to General
MacArthur's walkie-talkie. I'd prefer to use MacArthur's walkie-talkie because it has a solid feel to it.
Given the 11.8% alcohol, I was expecting a rather lean/green StL. It was not...it was very smooth/ripe/
polished. Whether Clark used RO on it or not, I don't know. But manipulated or not, it's a very fine
example of StL.
7. Corvina: This is the classic grape (along w/ Rondinella & Molinara) in the Trentino wines of Valpolicella
and Bardolino. It's been yrs & yrs since I've tasted any of those. I should revisit them sometime. There
is very little Corvina planted in Calif. I would say because Bolla pretty much trashed the reputation
for that grape.
I was shocked at the color of the Harrington when I first poured it. This is Valpolicella?? But I
was totally suckered in by the perfume the wine showed. An incredible frivolous little wine for drinking
right now...or ystrday. I understand Bryan has got RonSiletto to plant Corvina down in the Gilroy area.
Given Bryan's proclivities for the weird, I'm certain he has Recioto/Amarone lurking in the back of
his mind.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Clark Sez...

by TomHill » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:26 pm

TomHill wrote:We tasted tonight (9/13/17) some More New Wines:

11. WineSmith SaintLaurent RicciVnyd/Carneros/SonomaCnty (11.8%; http://www.WineSmithWines.com) Sebastopol 2013:
Very dark color; very strong earthy/loamy/dusty very slight pungent/acrid/burning steel wool classic
Burgenland StL quite interesting nose; soft rich/lush quite earthy/loamy/mushroomy bit black cherry cola/
Pinotish-like fairly spicy/peppery flavor w/ light smooth/ripe tannins; very long slight pungent strong
blackberry/Pinotish rather earthy/loamy/mushroomy finish w/ light smooth/polished tannins; very much
like a Burgenland St.L or Blaufrankisch but not as rustic; a very good StL but just seems a bit too
polished. $36.00 (CB)

at Vinovations some yrs ago and was impressed by what he was doing. I need to re-read his book.
The RicciVnyd in the Carneros has the only planting of StLaurent in Calif, I believe. The first to make
StL from these grapes was MattRorick/Forlorn-Hope, which I have liked quite a bit over the yrs he's been
making it. So I was excited to find Clark's StL and was eager to try it. I was impressed with this wine.
It spoke strongly of Burgenland StL made by one of the more modern producers, like RolandVelich/Moric
or HannesSchuster/RosiSchuster.
That said, Clark's StL seemed a bit too polished and perfect. It lacked the sorta rustic character
I usually find in Burgenland StL (and in Matt's StL). Sorta like comparing an iPhone8 next to General
MacArthur's walkie-talkie. I'd prefer to use MacArthur's walkie-talkie because it has a solid feel to it.
Given the 11.8% alcohol, I was expecting a rather lean/green StL. It was not...it was very smooth/ripe/
polished. Whether Clark used RO on it or not, I don't know. But manipulated or not, it's a very fine
example of StL.

Tom

Clark had this to say about his StLaurent:
Clark wrote:St. Laurent is a really interesting. Its tannins seem highly enrobed, possibly by some high polysaccharide. My Bordeaux training is that high titratable acidity is death on tannins because it stimulates salivation and the incumbent protein, rendering coarseness on the palate. But this variety can handle high acidity, making it function almost like a Sancerre as a food wine.

I agree with you about the polish on the 2013. I let it hang into October to lower the acidity, and did a lot of lees stirring. I think this overdid the aromatic integration, and while very pleasant in the mouth, its aromas are a little muddy.

Thus in 2014, I decided to explore a more simply made wine with the elevated acidity natural to this grape at its characteristic early ripeness. The nose is brighter and so is the palate. It’s very different from the 2013, and I’m interested what you think when Corti switches vintages.

Video: ClarkVideo

BTW, I think you would really enjoy and also provide great input for the Postmodern Winemaking Symposium Dec 5-6. With your permission, I’ll put you on the mailing list for more information and lots of interesting pre-conference discussions.