The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

California wineries still family owned since 1977?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: California wineries still family owned since 1977?

by Peter May » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:15 am

Delicato (3rd generation) & Peirano (4th generation)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:31 am

Peter, now there's something out of left field! Delicato--you made me look. And while yes, apparently, family owned and operated since 1924, and though they say what they do is "offers a portfolio of premium wines from a selection of the most desirable vineyards from notable California wine-growing regions"--no. Just no. They're not premium wines by any stretch of the imagination. Though still yes privately held and run by founder Gaspare's three sons, they are not a winery. They're a wine corporation corporation who make supermarket brands. Bota Box, for instance. I don't think anyone has any Black Stallion in their cellar. :)

Might be hilarious to show up with something like that and innocently ask, "Oh, that's not what you meant?"
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:42 pm

“….and though they say what they do is "offers a portfolio of premium wines from a selection of the most desirable vineyards from notable California wine-growing regions"--no. Just no. They're not premium wines by any stretch of the imagination.”

?????

Salute
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:11 pm

Let's be somewhat fair here/

I actually tasted at Black Stallion this summer. Pretty solid high end cabernet-single vineyard, varietally correct, not supermarket priced wines at all.

I agree with the overall point, but Black Stallion, at least, based on that tasting is better than too many high end artisanal cabs I have tried.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:16 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Let's be somewhat fair here/

I actually tasted at Black Stallion this summer. Pretty solid high end cabernet-single vineyard, varietally correct, not supermarket priced wines at all.

I agree with the overall point, but Black Stallion, at least, based on that tasting is better than too many high end artisanal cabs I have tried.

I picked that name out of the air, it was either that or Gnarly Vines--I've never had the wine. Good defense.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Jenise wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:
I picked that name out of the air, it was either that or Gnarly Vines--I've never had the wine. Good defense.

Ah... Makes sense, then. :lol:

I think one reason few of us have Black Stallion is they don't distribute on a large scale. And the Delicatos certainly did not found the winery, it was picked up from the second ownership group, I believe.

However...across the road or so is Judd's Hill. That is still owned by the original family (Finkelstines). I know the founder just passed away recently, but I think his son? still runs the place.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:58 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
Jenise wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:

Ah... Makes sense, then. :lol:

I think one reason few of us have Black Stallion is they don't distribute on a large scale. And the Delicatos certainly did not found the winery, it was picked up from the second ownership group, I believe.

However...across the road or so is Judd's Hill. That is still owned by the original family (Finkelstines). I know the founder just passed away recently, but I think his son? still runs the place.

You mean down the road-it's south. Judd is the sons name.
Previous