The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tasting Notes over the past 2 months or so

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

WTN: Tasting Notes over the past 2 months or so

by Howie Hart » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:16 pm

I apologize for being so late on these notes, but I guess I’ve been to lazy lately. Most of the wines I've been drinking lately have been my home made, but these are others I've had recently

’06 Johnson Estate Foch Nouveau – This was opened with Thanksgiving dinner, but was quite a disappointment – thin and acidic, closed – did not do anything for the dinner.

'01 DeBeauf Morgon Jean Descombes – This went very nicely with the Thanksgiving dinner. Nice ruby color (no brown; no purple). Pleasant nose of cherries. Just enough acidity and body to fill the mouth. Well balanced and a medium long finish.

Clos Le Vigneau Vouvray 2005 – Had this with lobster at my sister’s over Thanksgiving weekend. Dry, straw colored, hints of melon and a nice long finish. Excellent match with the dinner.

Presque Isle ’04 Vignoles – Light golden color. Hints of honey and apple. Off-dry (guess about 1.5% RS) but enough acid to balance nicely and cleanse the palate. Went well with the baked red snapper I made sometime in December.

Salt City Cellars Vignoles (80%) Duchess (20%) – made by our own Dan Smothergill. Light straw color – bone dry – nose dominated with apples and spice. Not as much acid as the Presque Isle, but still well balanced and refreshing. Medium finish. Nice job Dan! Enjoyed over the holidays with cheese and crackers.

Vignoles is my favorite white hybrid, which is why I planted it in my yard, so I always relish the opportunity to try it. Both of these examples confirmed my feelings.
Last edited by Howie Hart on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Tasting Notes over the past 2 months or so

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:29 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Salt City Cellars Vignoles (90%) Duchess (20%) – made by our own Dan Smothergill. .

Sounds like Dan gave 110%!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:55 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Sounds like Dan gave 110%!
Dan always does. Sorry about the typo. :oops: I'll fix it. He's treated us to several of his wines at NiagaraCOOL the past few years and they're always well made.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:00 am

I of course add my voice gladly to the chorus and attest to the quality of Dan's homemade wines. I especially liked his Diamond last year - it was easily one of the best labrusca wines I have ever tried anywhere, at any time:

Dan's Diamond, on the other hand, is the best example of this varietal wine that I have ever tried. It was bright and clear with lovely layers of grapiness, crisp citrus and tropical-fruit aromas - all on a beautifully, admirably dry frame. There's no unwelcome syrupy add-on to the finish here; it's just taut, fruity, well defined labrusca wine the way I believe such wine was intended to be.

More notes can be found in my 2006 NiagaraCool report.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca