The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: T'giving- Beaunes, Sancerres, Bojos, Rhys, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: T'giving- Beaunes, Sancerres, Bojos, Rhys, etc

by Dale Williams » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:54 pm

Wednesday Betsy made rabbit roasted on a bed of guanciale, watercress, radicchio, and dandelions. Wine was the 1987 Drouhin Beaune-Greves 1er. Pretty. ,mature wine- good black cherry fruit accented with spice and mushroom. Resolved tannin, good acids, good length. A-

Thanksgiving was at Betsy’s sister’s, but we did the turkey, 3 dressings (oyster, giblet, and a quinoa/duck sausage for the GF crowd), gravies, etc. Others did sweet potatoes, salmon, beans, Brussels sprouts, pies, and more.

When I dropped off a table and a couple chairs, I dropped some wine as well. The
Raventos “Nit” Cava rosado was apparently gone by time we arrived. Plenty of other wines:

2009 Reinhold Haart Piesporter Grafenberg Riesling Kabinett #7
Nice showing, peach and tropical fruit, orange zest, balanced sugars and acids, nice length. B+

2016 Pastou Sancerre Vieilles Vignes
Softer style, round with apple and grapefruit touch of grass. B/B-

2011 Rhys Bearwallow Pinot Noir
Bigger than my previous Rhys experiences, ripe black plum and cherry, coffee. Some tannin, moderate acids, good finish. Good but not outstanding. B/B+

2014 La Petite Fontaine Cotes du Rhone

Plums and kirsch, a bit short. B-

2015 Carnivor Cabernet Sauvignon
Sweet, fleshy, roasted, and clipped. C/C+

2015 Pavillon de Chavannes “Cuvee des Ambassades” Cote de Brouilly

Nice showing, red cherry and pomegranate, espresso, spice. Good length, nicely balanced. B++

Next day opened a few oysters, followed that with lemon sole with panko, broccoli rabe, and leftover stuffing. 2015 Forja de Salnes “Leirana Finca Genoveva” ( Rías Baixas) . Wow, full bodied (but only 12.7% abv) but bright acids, pear and white peach, lots of citrus zest and some almond. Long and pure. A-/B+

Saturday up to see friends in Scarborough, they had out local cheeses hummus, baba ganoush
2015 Vattan Calcaire. Straightforward SB, citrus with a little grass, good acids, moderate length. B

Dinner was salmon, salad, and roasted broccoli. The 2011 Drouhin Morgon is showing nicely- black cherry, smoke, and a little herb. Nicely balanced. B+

Sunday was a lovely dry-aged ribeye, butternut squash risotto, spinach/parsley salad with a lemon/caper/mustard vinaigrette. Wine was the 2002 Ch.de Chorey (Germain) “Vignes Franches VV ” Beaune 1er. Black cherry, sandalwood spice, a little meaty note, a touch of mocha. Medium to full bodied, good length, fresh but drinking well. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: T'giving- Beaunes, Sancerres, Bojos, Rhys, etc

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:09 pm

Looks like a fun lineup.

Your Rhys Bearwallow note echoes my thoughts pretty much every time I have a Bearwallow. That being said, 2011 was probably the weakest Rhys vintage since their uneven debut in 2004.

Thanks for the Rheinhold Haart note. I opened a 2009 Hexamer Spätlese during he Thanksgiving week, and it was massive. It was 750ml of Beerenauslese labeled as Spätlese.
Decisions are made by those who show up