The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: America's very own Siberia

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: America's very own Siberia

by Mark S » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:26 pm

Some recent stuff in a short-ish list:

Il Censo, Terre Siciliane Bianco IGT, 'Praruar', 2014
Deeply colored Donald Trump coppertone tan with lots of citrusy notes, orange flavors in an orange wine, almost green tea-like with a dash of yazu thrown in. 100% catarratto. 13.5% Obvious by the label this has a Paolo Bea connection, and it does.

Forlorn Hope, Petite Sirah 'Les Deux Mathieux', Suisun Valley, 10 Brink Vineyard, 2009
A boisterous biggy (15.9%!) that is richly saturated and deeply fruity but has and maintains balance throughout. Espectacular.

Passopisciaro, Sicilia IGT, 2008
The Etna wine that doesn't say 'Etna' on it. Another big one (15%), the alcohol here is not as tethered to the grape product as the pet si above. Dried cherry sticks and bitter, savory herbs come to mind with a stony, austere finish. Not so charming as other years. Rock hounds who like punishment and alcoholic heat might warm up to it, though, especially when it's zero-degrees F outside.

Vilmart, Champagne, 'Grand Cellier', Premier Cru, Brut, NV
There was some discussion of Vilmart recently on this board. This was very nice...and young, even with 6 years of storage age on it (lot said 02 10 on the label). Very clean nose of clementine and green grapes. Light ginger and Granny Smith apples, with some apparent sweetness to it. Very subtle mousse. 12.5% Lovely.

Antoniolo, Gattinara, 'San Francesco', 2008
Red fruited (cherry-cranberry) nose and palate, with a spicy grape must finish. Still sensing wood on the finish, perhaps 3-4 more years?

A. J. Adam, Mosel, Riesling Feinherb, 'in der Sängerei', 2015
Green apples, starfruit, elderflower and a bit of crushed calcium rock, the acidity is fine but I get the feeling this won't be a long ager. 10.5% I'm drinking them young.

Domaine Sainte-Anne, Saint Gervais, Cote du Rhone Villages, 'Les Rouvieres', 2010
I'm not sure the makeup of this, but think this is the standard GSM-blend. Youthful purple colored. Charred plums, tar, and tobacco on the nose, which carries through to the palate. Relatively simple, but...so what? 14.5% Age 4-10 more years.

Big Table Farm, Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, 2011
Orange and rose scented. Rose water, light cherry, with some orange rind and clove. Feels a little light in flavor for its body, a bit limpid and watery. 12.6% Alright, but doesn't make me want to run out and buy another BTF anytime soon.

Chateau les Grandes Murailles, St. Emilion, 2008
13.5% Deep, dark, and rather structured for a merlot-based wine, with the tannin still not resolved at 9 years. Lots of blackberry, black cherry, menthol and licorice. Very nice, and wish I had another bottle.

Frank Pascal, Coteau Champenois Rouge, 'Confiance', NV
In the "what the hell IS this category", we have here a RED CHAMPAGNE that is not Champagne. Muted aromas with only mushrooms and red fruits showing. Piquant acidity, cranberries and pomegranates and wood tannin. Transparent but weak-kneed; fresh, but no complexity to speak of. Meh. But then, I had a BRILLIANT idea: had a leftover Port opened and decided to become a mixologist. Well darn if it didn't IMPROVE! The 'Portaging' of the Champenois took on a richer hue, greater body, and bettered the wine tremendously. Yay!
12% [Bottled August 2010. Pinot Meunier 80%/Pinot Noir 20%] (I'm guessing the meunier is what makes this dull, as wines primarily of that variety have felt flat to me)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: America's very own Siberia

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:51 pm

Vilmart! Love that stuff.

The 02 10 is probably indicative of 2006 base, so lots of material there to buffer extra cellar time.
Decisions are made by those who show up