The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A good week

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: A good week

by Jenise » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:31 pm

1986 Château Climens Barsac Sémillon
Apricot pie and tangerine on the palate with a heady nose of jasmine and orange blossoms--I was impressed by how vivid those aromatics were 30 years out. That jasmine/orange blossom thing is why Climens is my favorite Barsac/Sauternes.

2013 Domaine Vacheron Sancerre Sauvignon Blanc
Blind, would not have guessed Sancerre--color's pretty golden, it's rounder and fuller-bodied than one would expect and the acidity isn't the typical racy kind. Definitely sees some oak. That said, it tastes expensive and held it's own with an aged white Hermitage also on the table, and that's no small task.

2007 Château Larrivet-Haut-Brion Blanc Pessac-Léognan Sémillon-Sauvignon Blanc Blend
Pale yellow color. Youthful on the palate too, wouldn't have guessed it's age. Very savory with assertive herbaceousness that matched up beautifully with tarragon-laced vermicelli.

2006 E. Guigal Ermitage Blanc Ex-Voto Hermitage White Rhone Blend
Amber color. Rich and profound; not just a wine, an important wine experience. Baked red apple skin, peaches, grilled lemon and toasted hazelnut are backed up by strands of peanut brittle and an herb component in the long finish I couldn't quite put a name to, maybe bay leaf. Wow.

2006 Domaine de Ferrand Châteauneuf-du-Pape Red Rhone Blend
Earthy, rich dark red fruit with garrique, green olive and coffee. Just coasting into it's best years now.

2016 Dönnhoff Roxheimer Höllenpfad Riesling trocken Nahe
I'm really getting into these dry reislings. Notes of 'Perry' pear cider, lychee fruit, white melon and green tea. Nervy on the palate with a lot of depth, and a very clear step up from the non-vineyard specific trocken. A few years in the cellar should bring about many more layers.

2016 Mordoree La Dame Rousse Rose
Tavel with serious attitude: more savory than sweet with strawberries, tarragon, parsley, and a chinato-like pleasant bitterness.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A good week

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:37 pm

We’ll make a Dönnhoff disciple of you yet!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:29 am

Odd about the Vacheron. I had the 2016 a couple of days ago and I thought it was a very typical SB. Did you have the regular Sancerre or one of the single vineyards?
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:09 pm

Wasn't my bottle so I could have missed a vineyar designation but I didn't see one.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:57 pm

Chaim, it wasn't my bottle, but I did look it over and did not see a vineyards on the front label. Unless it's unusually inconspicuous, this was the regular.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:41 pm

Think vineyards for Vacheron are on neck label (with vintage), pretty large type