The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm

Chapel Hill, NC

WTN: 2007 Produttori Pora and Rio Sordo

by Rahsaan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:23 am

2007 Produttori del Barbaresco Pora Barbaresco Riserva
Not at all mad to have opened this bottle now. From the beginning it shows sweet fruit with lovely nebbiolo perfume and a fine texture. Great elements. Tannins emerge with air, but the sweet fruit remains. If I am picking nits, that sweet fruit might be a bit too much in the sweet jammy raisin-ey spectrum for my ideal tastes. But only just a smidge. I have to really concentrate to raise that critique. And in the end, it's a lot easier to just sit back and enjoy the fruit accompanied by so much lovely fragrant perfume and a very clear detailed tannin structure as well. Why complain.

2007 Produttori del Barbaresco Rio Sordo Barbaresco Riserva
Much less seduction here. There is ripe rippling 2007 fruit, but in a stern detailed fine-pointed way. I enjoyed the bottle because I've never been one to hide from elegance and structure. But it was a very different interpretation. As it should be!
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2007 Produttori Pora and Rio Sordo

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:24 am

Thanks for the insights.

I am surprised at the Rio Sordo. It usually marches pretty well in step with Pora in terms of development. I own both. Should do a side by side sometime soon.
Democracy dies in the darkness
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm

Chapel Hill, NC

by Rahsaan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:28 am

I don't have a lot of context for the wines. I purchased a few 07 Pora and Rio Sordo in 2013, drank some then and again these past weeks.

So I am hesitant to make big claims about trajectory, but I wouldn't necessarily say they were at radically different stages of development. And both were enjoyable (to my palate). It just seemed like Pora had softer fruit while Rio Sordo had finer detail. Which from what I read, is typical of the vineyards?
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:15 pm

Interesting notes. Funnily I've almost never had Rio Sordo, interesting your comment on the terroir. Sounds like I should seek out (somehow I tend to gravitate toward buying Montestefano, Pora, Paje, and Ovello, but with no particular reason for that ).