The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dolcetto, Mouvedre, and More

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Dolcetto, Mouvedre, and More

by Brian K Miller » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:52 pm

Some highlights from the past weekend:

2013 Farella Merlot (Coombsville). This is definitely a Napa wine, but along with the rich Napa fruit there is a structure and balance and earthiness that I have enjoyed for some time! Farella has joined with Matthew Rorick and Poe in the very enjoyable Outlands tasting room cooperative in Downtown Napa. A very enjoyable place to taste-they have some excellent staff who know their stuff, and I like the gleaming white modern tasting room. The Forlorn Hope Semillon from Yountville is an amazingly bracing oyster wine!
2008 San Fereolo (Dogliani). This lovely, very Italian Dolcetto is all about licorice, herb, a delicious and fresh bitter note, and fantastic earthiness. Delicious! The winery holds its wines for 8 years before release! https://madrose.com/producers/italy/pie ... n-fereolo/ Interesting comparison to the Sam Bilbro (Rhys) Dolcetto we had last week. The latter was very, very young and had quite a tannic kick. Would be interesting to see how it ages!

2013 Preston Family Mouvedre (Dry Creek Valley). Much richer than the San Fereolo, this was still a fine Mouvedre on the plusher side of things. Huge plum fruit, but a touch of earth keeps things interesting.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Dolcetto, Mouvedre, and More

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:11 pm

A couple of things...

Sam Bilbro is Idlewild, not Rhys. Those are not just two different wineries, they are two different planets!

The Idlewild Dolcetto does smooth out with a couple of years of age. The 2014 was starting to come into its own when I opened one in January.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Dolcetto, Mouvedre, and More

by Brian K Miller » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:56 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:A couple of things...

Sam Bilbro is Idlewild, not Rhys. Those are not just two different wineries, they are two different planets!

The Idlewild Dolcetto does smooth out with a couple of years of age. The 2014 was starting to come into its own when I opened one in January.

Thanks for the correction, David. :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach