The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Domaine Weinbach Sylvaner Reserve 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

WTN: Domaine Weinbach Sylvaner Reserve 2005

by Bill Hooper » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:01 pm

I have an affinity for Sylvaner. We have a great relationship; I don't ask much of them, they don't ask much of me. I love them for their easy, enjoyable and refreshing qualities. Sometimes they put on quite a show and Weinbach makes a good one. Lemon, Granny Smith apple, mild raclette, parsley and mint. Plenty of mouth watering acidity for a great mid-afternoon sipper (even when it's 3 degrees outside). It has more weight than Silvaner aus Franken, but less wet-rock stinkiness and spice. Plus, it's by far the most affordable Domaine Weinbach wine available. Why Sylvaner continues to have a minute fan club, I don't understand.
13% alc. $22

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Domaine Weinbach Sylvaner Reserve 2005

by Saina » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:12 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:I have an affinity for Sylvaner. We have a great relationship; I don't ask much of them, they don't ask much of me. I love them for their easy, enjoyable and refreshing qualities.

A good philosophy of wine if I may say so.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:27 am

Good note Bill. Sylvaner is talked about as such a second class citizen of Alsace that we never even tried it when visiting there last year.

Now when browsing the Alsace sections in local stores I notice that Pinot Blanc and Sylvaner are about the only varietals in my price range. So you have given me a good reason to try a Sylvaner. Many thanks.
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

by Andrew Shults » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:14 pm

Is that the one from Clos des Capucins? I just picked up a bottle of that less than two weeks ago. Your tasting note has made me really looking forward to opening it. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:43 pm

Andrew Shults wrote:Is that the one from Clos des Capucins? I just picked up a bottle of that less than two weeks ago. Your tasting note has made me really looking forward to opening it. Thanks.

Some of it is grown in the Clos des Capucins (Weinbachs walled vineyard) but not all of it. "Clos des Capucins" is on all of the labels even if the vines are from outside the Clos. I hope you enjoy it.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:49 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:Good note Bill. Sylvaner is talked about as such a second class citizen of Alsace that we never even tried it when visiting there last year.

Now when browsing the Alsace sections in local stores I notice that Pinot Blanc and Sylvaner are about the only varietals in my price range. So you have given me a good reason to try a Sylvaner. Many thanks.

Dan,
Just this past year, Sylvaner was elevated to Grand Cru status, joining Muscat, Riesling, Pinot Gris, and Gewurztraminer. Pinot Noir, Pinot Blanc and Chasselas are still out in the cold. (Poor Chasselas -NOW there's a vine that gets NO RESPECT!)

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

by Andrew Shults » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:51 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Some of it is grown in the Clos des Capucins (Weinbachs walled vineyard) but not all of it. "Clos des Capucins" is on all of the labels even if the vines are from outside the Clos. I hope you enjoy it.

They put the name of the vineyard on the label regardless of whether the grapes come from vines in the vineyard or outside it?!?! Forgive my ignorance, but how do they get away with that?
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:37 am

Andrew Shults wrote:
Bill Hooper wrote:Some of it is grown in the Clos des Capucins (Weinbachs walled vineyard) but not all of it. "Clos des Capucins" is on all of the labels even if the vines are from outside the Clos. I hope you enjoy it.

They put the name of the vineyard on the label regardless of whether the grapes come from vines in the vineyard or outside it?!?! Forgive my ignorance, but how do they get away with that?

The name has historical significance for the entire estate, not just the lieu-dit itself, and has been kind of a calling card for the whole property. The Franciscan Capucins brought fame to the vineyard (which is considered one of the best in Alsace), and I suppose the women Faller have decided to ride it's fame. Significant parts of many wines come from the Clos, but only a couple are 100% Clos des Capucins. If it were a recognized Grand Cru, this wouldn't be legal. As a mere "named place" it just isn't covered in the rules and is open to interpretation. For REAL Clos des Capucins, try Cuvee Theo Gewurz, Riesling and Cuvee Ste. Catherine Pinot Gris. On the other side of the coin, The Cuvee Ste. Catherine Riesling is Grand Cru Schlossberg, only from the base of the hill, and not labeled as such.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:18 pm

You know...Dina and were just talking about this varietal last night. We used to be able to purchase a pretty good Sylvaner when we lived in another city. Haven't seen any where we are now.

Here is a TN from the old Winelovers Page from a few years ago...

"...Topic: TN: 1999 Schloss Castell Sylvaner (Trocken)
Author: Richard Atkinson
Date: Wed Jan 30 22:18:37 2002

While working our way through a rather flabby Pinot Gris, during dinner. I finally said.."Enough. Lets try that new German in the squat bottle."

This is a first experience with the Sylvaner varietal. The wine is a Franken vintage. The clean, crisp, tartness cut through the residue of aforementioned Pinot Gris like a scalpel. Like...kind of a German version Chablis?

Very faint nose, but could have been due to storage in the fridge. The short round bottle simply would not fit the shelves of my wine cabinet. Or , at least not without taking up an exorbitant amount of space.

On the palate, there is citrus and stone. Very dry, medium bodied with an amazingly long finish. One that stayed on the palate for at least a minute after the last sip.

We''ll definately buy this one again. Goes well with or without food.

Even if you could find this vintage again? What is the aging potential of a Sylvaner? Or is this an early drinking white?

Richard
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:17 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:Even if you could find this vintage again? What is the aging potential of a Sylvaner? Or is this an early drinking white?

Richard

Richard,

Although there are a few late harvest versions of German Silvaner that will last for decades, the appeal for me is the fresh snappyness of youthful wines. They have plenty of acidity -which helps with longevity-but the relative lack of flamboyant fruitiness doesn't help that cause. There are certainly exceptions. The Franconians are very proud of the grape, much more so than the Alsatians, and many push the Silvaner envelope.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:13 pm

The Franconians are very proud of the grape, much more so than the Alsatians, and many push the Silvaner envelope.

Bill,
Sylvaner is terra inconita for me, but I feel myself getting hooked. Who are the Franconians and what are some examples of their Sylvaners?

Dan
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:56 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:
The Franconians are very proud of the grape, much more so than the Alsatians, and many push the Silvaner envelope.

Bill,
Sylvaner is terra inconita for me, but I feel myself getting hooked. Who are the Franconians and what are some examples of their Sylvaners?

Dan

Dan,

Franken is a wine growing region in northwestern Bavaria. The main grapes down there are Silvaner (i not y in Germany), Riesling and Müller-Thurgau (The most planted variety) as well as Spätburgunder and other lesser-known high-cropping whites and reds (Kerner and such). The favored vessel is the Bocksbeutel (that goat-testical shaped squat bottle like the one that Mateus Rose used to come in). Here, Silvaner reaches its pinnacle both in the form of dry and TBA/Eiswein styles. Some of the best and most famous towns are Iphofen, Escherndorf and the historical Würzburg. The problem is that most importers are scared away by the Bocksbeutel (It doesn't lay down in racks well), so only a few producers can be found Stateside. The most readily available of these are probably Hans Wirsching, Bürgerspital, Juliusspital, and Graf von Schönborn, BUT the best are left in Germany -Horst Sauer and Rudolf Fürst. If you like white wines such as Melon de Bourgogne, Silvaner is certainly worth seeking out.
-Happy Silvanerin'!

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:00 am

Thanks Bill. When we were in Soutwest Michigan last year I came across Kerner. I believe it was at Lemon Creek. Don't recall what it tasted like.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:06 am

Dan Smothergill wrote:Thanks Bill. When we were in Soutwest Michigan last year I came across Kerner. I believe it was at Lemon Creek. Don't recall what it tasted like.

Dan,

Kerner is a crossing of Trollinger and Riesling. If restricted and vinified properly, it can make interesting wine. That's a BIG if though. Most of it is plonk (at least in Germany and Northern Italy). I think there was a Kerner 30 sec. WA a few months back.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:23 pm

Bill.

I think Gray Monk make a Kerner out of BC?

Bob P.