The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

My week in wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

My week in wine

by Florida Jim » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:14 pm

1999 Aldo Conterno, Barbera d’Alba:
Although barbera will never me my favorite wine grape, this was really complex and nuanced, deeply fruited, with solid acidity and a long, slightly drying finish. A hell of a wine and terrific along side pasta with mushrooms. Brought in by Vias Imports and about $20; I’d buy it again at that price (and I never thought I’d say that).

2005 Kangarilla Road, Viognier:
14% alcohol, McLaren Vale fruit; apricot and apricot pit on the nose with hints of peach and spice; a bit disjointed on the palate with fresh flavors that follow the nose, good acidity and add an odd stony tang that in limited amounts is good counter-point and at higher levels is off-putting – and I seem to get a variation on how much of it is present in any one sip; medium length finish. I know near nothing about viognier except that when I look at most bottles for sale I see alcohols of 14% to 17% as a rule; and that puts me off. And this bottle probably isn’t going to bring me into the fold. Imported by Click Imports and about $16; I won’t buy it again.

Anybody with suggestions for a viognier with less alcohol and a more integrated and mineral driven approach?

2004 Giacosa, Barbera d’Alba:
So I like barbera better than I thought; this is even more nuanced, more old vine intense and more deeply fruited than the Conterno above; a wine that takes time to open in the glass and has years ahead of it in the cellar. Fantastic with lentil stew. Imported by Locascio/Winebow and about $23; I’ll buy more this weekend.

2002 Allemand, Cornas:
Smokey, stony black fruit with accents of red fruit on the nose; the palate follows the nose with a satin texture and a tangy, supple mouth feel that bring the flavors alive, moderate concentration, hidden structure and a medium length, very clean finish. So there you have my tasting note and it is not even close to conveying what I want to say about this wine and this producer.
First, there are a handful (if that) of producers in the world who make fine wine every vintage. Allemand is one of them. 2002 was an extremely difficult vintage in the Rhône; brutal rains, devastating weather. And yet, here is the essence of Cornas.
Second, when I drink this I am filled with the desire to make wine like this. I help folks who make wine in CA; some of them make syrah. But nobody makes wine that’s even close. It is a very long time between glasses that inspire as does this lovely wine.
And even that is not enough.
Imported by Chelsea Ventures and about $35; stupidly under priced.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: My week in wine

by Marc D » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:33 pm

Anybody with suggestions for a viognier with less alcohol and a more integrated and mineral driven approach

For that you have to pay the higher tariff of Condrieu. Maybe Georges Vernay is worth it, I don't know. All the New world versions that I've tried have beautiful perfume (sometimes too much) but are lush and fat with the high alcohol.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:57 pm

Viognier is fat by nature.

I've never had one that was "mineral driven." I don't think the grape can do that when even close the physiologically ripe.

And unripe Viognier is nasty stuff.

Likely not a grape for you Jim.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:22 pm

I've basically given up on Viognier, just not my style. It can join vin jaune, Barossa shiraz, and Alsace PN on my "not on my dime" list.

I too don't really get excited by Barbera, but you might those both sound good. Thanks as always for insightful and interesting notes.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:51 pm

Jim
Worth also looking out for Prunotto's Costamiole Barbera and Colonna's Barbera del Monferrato. Both are mightily impressive. It's true! Barbera has changed :)
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:48 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Viognier is fat by nature.

I've never had one that was "mineral driven."

Pichon Condrieu?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:52 am

Perhaps Pichon is minerally by comparison to other Viognier, but compared to any worthwhile grape (e.g. Riesling, Chenin) it's still a waste of money.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:56 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Perhaps Pichon is minerally by comparison to other Viognier, but compared to any worthwhile grape (e.g. Riesling, Chenin) it's still a waste of money.

Ok, yes, viognier will be viognier.

But I have still been impressed with the mineral component and the focus in the Pichon wines I have tasted.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:51 am

Jim,
Where did you get 2002 Allemand, Cornas for $35? I paid $70 from the back room of Crush and am patiently waiting for the 2001. Sounds like a deal. Nothing like a good 14% white wine to mess up your day. I know they are becoming more "normal" but sure takes the fun out of quaffing a white on a warm day. Guess I am going to have to really start learning about German Rieslings, at least I can walk after drinking a bottle.
Walt
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:37 am

Walt,
The Allemand came from Flickinger Wines in Chicago.
http://www.flickingerwines.com/home.asp?action=consent
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars