The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:31 pm

Rockbridge Ohio

Windsor Ont. wine shops ??

by Jim Grow » Thu May 10, 2018 11:23 am

I will be in Ontario at Rice L. in late May for a week of fishing. I understand that I can only bring 2 bottles of wine with me and will do some quick wine shopping in Windsor on our way over. All the other guys will have their quota filled with beer probably so I can't rely on help from them. What one wine shop should I focus on doing my shopping at?
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Windsor Ont. wine shops ??

by Howie Hart » Thu May 10, 2018 6:36 pm

I don't believe there are any private wine shops in Ontario. You have to rely on the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario). They have stores all over.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Thu May 10, 2018 7:20 pm

Jim Grow wrote:I will be in Ontario at Rice L. in late May for a week of fishing. I understand that I can only bring 2 bottles of wine with me and will do some quick wine shopping in Windsor on our way over. All the other guys will have their quota filled with beer probably so I can't rely on help from them. What one wine shop should I focus on doing my shopping at?

I'm not familiar with Windsor, but I do live in Ontario. Be aware that there is only one general wine & liquor retailer in the province, the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO), with some 650+ outlets. In addition, there are a small selection of wines available in some supermarkets, as well as a number of stores which can only sell Ontario wines that are all owned by the same parent company.

The LCBO has a division called Vintages, which sells higher-end and rarer wines. There is a "Vintages corner" in many LCBO stores.

You can see what is available at http://www.vintages.com. Pick the "Advanced Product Search" option in the fine print at the top. That lets you search by name, by region, type of wine, etc., then find out which stores have that product as of closing the day before. You can search for wines at Vintages, the regular LCBO or both.

There appears to be a Vintages/LCBO store in the Ambassador Plaza at 1550 Huron Church Rd, which is the street straight ahead off the Ambassador bridge. I don't know if it is the largest store. Perhaps someone who lives close to Windsor can chime in.
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat May 12, 2018 6:59 am

Here is a link to our MOCOOL Chef's review of the latest from Vintages: http://blogs.gangofpour.com/alan-kerrs-may-12th-vintages-release-notes
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.