The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Pierre Gaillard Cote Rotie Cote Rozier

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN: 2000 Pierre Gaillard Cote Rotie Cote Rozier

by Marc D » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:29 am

2000 Pierre Gaillard Cote Rotie Cote Rozier

Imported by North Berkeley Imports. 12.5 % abv. From the website, Cote Rozier sits just above La Landonne on the Cote Brune. I last tried this in May of 2005 when there was a marked vanilla note. Tonight I didn't find any vanilla. Dark red color. Smoke, red plums, violets, and a hint of black pepper in the nose. Medium body with lots of bright acidity. It finishes with curranty red fruit that leaves an impression of sweetness, and easy tannins. Still pretty youthful, and better now, with the oak flavor integrated, than it was 2 years ago.

Cheers,
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2000 Pierre Gaillard Cote Rotie Cote Rozier

by Jenise » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:21 am

Good timing. Just two days ago I ordered a bottle of the 2001, and I didn't really know anything about the wine but I've always liked North Berkeley's selections so I went with it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: 2000 Pierre Gaillard Cote Rotie Cote Rozier

by Marc D » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:46 pm

I picked these up on auction for $25; it seems 2000 wasn't too highly regarded for Cote Rotie. Rostaing La Landonne in 2000 was significantly discounted compared to 99 and 01, and I thought was really good. The first bottle of the Gaillard 2 years ago really was marked by the new oak, so you may want to cellar your 01 for a while yet.

The Gaillard didn't have that meaty bacon smell that is so interesting, but it was pretty solid.

Best,
Marc