The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

August Wine Focus: A trip to Australia with some Kiwis

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:00 am

Why, yes, we are staying in the Southern Hemisphere for this month's Wine Focus. We'll explore all of Australia and New Zealand, no holds barred, hoping to find what's new in the land Down Under that we haven't featured for quite a while. Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc and Oz Shiraz might be the obvious options, but I'm planning to look for the roads less traveled. So g'day, mates ... let's unscrew some caps and see what's in there.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: August Wine Focus: A trip to Australia with some Kiwis

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:44 am

Great suggestion for this month after the non-starter in July. Have a fair selection of OZ, especially some fine aged rieslings. I do not think Shiraz is the high-flyer anymore so will be of interest to read about what is out there.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:12 pm

I should have added that I have a couple of Tahbilk Marsannes ready to open.
Over on the UK wine forum, there was a big Oz Chardonnay shoot out. Doubt many will be found in the US but think Jenise might find some good examples in her area?
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:31 pm

Bob, rarely see Aus wines here at all. Just mass production supermarket stuff and the occasional (egads) Mollydooker. Much better is access to New Zealand wines. In fact, I have these in the cellar at the moment:

2013 Astrolabe Wines Chenin Blanc Wrekin Vineyard Marlborough
2015 Craggy Range Chardonnay Single Vineyard Kidnappers Vineyard Hawkes Bay
2006 Craggy Range Pinot Noir Single Vineyard Te Muna Road Vineyard Martinborough
2007 Craggy Range Pinot Noir Zebra Vineyard Central Otago Bendigo
2016 Craggy Range Sauvignon Blanc Single Vineyard Te Muna Road Vineyard Martinborough
2008 Craggy Range Te Kahu Gimblett Gravels Vineyard Red Blend
2016 Dog Point Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough
2014 Felton Road Chardonnay Block 2 Central Otago
2016 Felton Road Pinot Noir Calvert Central Otago
2014 Greywacke Pinot Noir Marlborough
2015 Greywacke Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough
2015 Greywacke Sauvignon Blanc Wild Marlborough
2014 Innocent Bystander Pinot Noir Central Otago
2014 Kumeu River Chardonnay Hunting Hill
2014 Peter Yealands Pinot Noir Marlborough
2005 Stonyridge Vineyard Larose Waiheke Island Red Bordeaux Blend
1999 Stonyridge Vineyard Larose Waiheke Island Red Bordeaux Blend
2015 Two Paddocks Pinot Noir
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Dug around in the cellar and found 2 shiraz from 03 and 04. Think the 04 Grant Burge Filsell Barossa Shiraz might turn out better than the 03 Lehmann Futures Shiraz. Stay tuned forumites.
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:47 pm

Bob, I was rooting around on wine.com yesterday looking for some interesting stuff for a tasting I'm doing in a few weeks, and discovered that they have a LOT of good Aussie wines, so I ordered a few. Even got a Tahbilk marsanne!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:12 pm

I have a Tahbilk Marsanne Museum release from 07 that should be good to go.

Look! 10000 posts.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:30 am

This entry level Penfolds Chardonnay below is all I have found locally and at c.€11 I am not about to repurchase. Wines from the Mâconnais can be had for less and they are more mineral and more to my taste.

I was about to add my ritual complaint about poor availability of more interesting wineries when I found in my inbox a quite good offer of Kiwi, Oz and S.African boutique wineries from a web seller called Vente à la Propriété. It included wines from Dog Point, Felton Road, Grosset and Chapoutier Oz, which tempt me. The fly in the ointment is minimum quantities of six of a kind in most cases, which combined with quite high prices and the risks of shipping in a heat wave, make me pass this time.

2015 Penfolds Chardonnay Koonunga Hill - Australia, South Australia (8/6/2018)
I feared a caricatural buttery international "Chardonnay" and so was reassured when I found a quite agreeable and fresh medium bodied white with decently fresh acidity and backbone. However I had taken the precaution of cooling more than I would a white Burgundy and I felt that buttery, jammy notes started to emerge as the wine warmed up. Quite good.

Posted from CellarTracker
Tim York
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Bob walks into winestore downtown with bottle of red in a brown bag!

Ed (owner).."what we have here Bob?'
Me.."nice bottle of aged red"
Ed..."well a beautiful brick red...earthy dusty nose with a woodsy aroma"
Me..."a 2004 Ed"
Ed..'could be a Cab based Super Tuscan"
Me.."I opened last night, very crumbly cork, 14.5% alc. I see you sell the 2104 for $28 Cdn over there".
I pull bottle out of the brown bag...2004 Grant Burge Filsell Barossa Shiraz.
Ed with look of surprise..."well you fooled me with that one!"
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:20 pm

Bob, amusing story. Btw, I've actually been to Grant Burge winery. I don't remember what we tasted, however I do remember another customer, a flashy long-haired rock star type with the 'babe' girlfriend--tons of makeup, big jiggly boobs in a low-cut top, and doused in floral perfume that took over the tasting room the minute she entered.

Here's a TN on a $12 Sauvignon Blanc we had the other night:

2016 Tohu Sauvignon Blanc Single Vineyard Awatere Valley
I have no prior experience with this winery, and no nothing about them. But there's something gimmicky about using the words 'Single Vineyard' as a proprietary name without actually referencing a vineyard. And the suspicion that sets off shows in the glass: grapefruit and white melon are in the nose, but it's kind of hollow on the palate where other things should be and with about 15% less acidity and 15% more sweetness in the finish than normal even at this price point. It tastes less winemaker-made than industrially designed, and I'm not it's target customer.
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Okay guys, beat this one:

1997 Penfolds Bin 707. Brought to Bill's lunch yesterday by David N (who often reads here). Best wine of the day: garnet color with a gold hue on the rim. Evolved plummy flavors with black currant, tobacco, woodsy spice and leather . Perfect acidity and tannins. Served blind, it had none of the typical Aussie-ness that gives away origins even in a blind tasting. Nothing about it OTT, just restrained elegance at an absolute ideal time of its life. [mic drop]
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:17 am

As I am unlikely to come across an Oz or Kiwi bottle worth drinking during the rest of this month, let me post a couple of outstanding experiences from the past.

1995 Moss Wood Cabernet Sauvignon - Australia, Western Australia, South West Australia, Margaret River (6/9/2016)
This bottle of Moss Wood rates as my best bottle ever from Australia alongside a Clonakilla Shiraz/Viognier in a very different style. My first bottle about 10 years ago (I can't find the TN) was disappointing with a sombre brooding complexion and very firm tannins but this bottle was really singing. Very deep colour with some bricking visible while pouring. Expressive nose of mature red fruit with pencil, balsamic and mineral hints. Quite full bodied palate and harmonious showing bright but mature red fruit with a lively plum note, smooth texture, more balsamic and minerals, fresh juicy acidity and ripe tannins on the finish. Very Bordelais in fact but perhaps a bit fuller and more up-front than most of those but by no means short. Excellent.

Posted from CellarTracker

“Springvale” Watervale Riesling – Clare Valley – 2007 – Grosset – Alc.13.5%. The nose was very mineral with marked dry petrol notes and touches of citrus and spice. The medium bodied and bone dry palate was linear and crystalline with again a marked bright mineral content, citrus fruit leaning towards lemon and lime, crisp acidity and a firm and long finish. The overall effect was exhilarating, elegant and moreish without a lot of complexity at this point but I think the backbone is there to assure the ageing which will allow complexity to emerge; 16/20 + with ++ potential. (October 10, 2010)
Tim York
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:25 am

Nice notes Tim. They were screwcapping in the early 2000s and I started putting aside a few Marsannes. Will be puling from the cellar, expect some variation on past experience..vintage issues?
All my Springvale are gone.. :( .