The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Q: Are Riedel's glass creations out of control?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: Q: Are Riedel's glass creations out of control?

by Bill Hooper » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:01 pm

JoeArmano wrote:
Bill Hooper wrote:Are there too many Riedel glasses? Maybe, but in this case, it looks as if the Oregon Pinot producers wanted another one. Riedel is just supplying what the market asked for. There's nothing wrong with that. It looks like a good promotion for Oregon Pinot Noir too. I certainly don't own every shape, but I buy the ones that suit my favorite wines and I do like the constant reevaluation and evolution of the shapes. BUT, that said, you're not likely to find Riedel WATER GLASSES at my house!

Prost!
Bill

Bill, I hope you are kidding... WATER GLASSES??? Holy cow! That is uncalled for. But, maybe I am just an regular water drinking and not a serious drinker. Any WATER Enthusiasts out there?

Ciao,
Joe A.

Joe, they do indeed make a water glass. Clearly a luxury item. They DO NOT make your tap water taste like french vanilla iced cream.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:55 pm

Victorwine wrote:I think it’s just a big gimmick. Isn’t it true that at most wine judging and competitions an ISO standard wine tasting glass is used? One would think a glass with similar dimensions would make a good every-day wine glass. Basically when looking for stemware I look for a bowl that is approximately 4 inches tall, 2 ½ inches at its widest diameter, and 2 inches across the rim.

Salute

In support of the big gimmick idea, which I am generally inclined to subscribe to, here's a pic of a wine tasting at Ch. d'Yquem. Notice that the glasses are nothing special just all the same.Image
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:49 pm

I contact Riedel about leaded glass. This was their response. Sorry I am not sure what products they are talking about.

Message 3 of 9
To: <thubten>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:22:09 +0100
Subject: AW: Lead free cyrstal

Nachricht
Hello Rod,

we have leadfree glasses in our sortiment.

Pls. find the series listed below:

- Wine

- Riedel “O”

- Restaurant
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:03 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Are there too many Riedel glasses? Maybe, but in this case, it looks as if the Oregon Pinot producers wanted another one. Riedel is just supplying what the market asked for. There's nothing wrong with that.

Mark Lipton wrote: The ISO glass are used in tastings not because they show the wines to best advantage but because they are a standardized size and shape and don't do a bad job of giving some impression of the wine. However, if you taste an ISO side by side with a larger Riedel glass, the chances are very good that you'll get a lot more out of the Riedel glass. That is not to say, though, that one should buy into the marketing hype of Georg Riedel et al. The idea that there can be a specific shape that best suits each variety I find laughable, actually.

Damn, you guys summarized my position!

Rod Miller wrote:Now if they could just figure out how to make lead free crystal then they might be going somewhere useful.

Unsure re what Riedel stems are lead-free, but the Schott Zweisel Tritan use titantium instead of lead. Though if you're worried for health reasons, I think the possible leaching from wine glasses in normal use is pretty minimal. There is a real clear danger however in the old idea of lead crystal decanters that hold spirits - both the constant contact and the higher alcohol are factors increasing leaching.

As to the water glasses, my guess is that they are provided for those that want to match their water glasses to their wine service, I've never heard Riedel claim they made the water taste better.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:16 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Unsure re what Riedel stems are lead-free

I think it's the cheaper end of the spectrum . . wine series, overture series, restaurant series, and stemless "O" series that are lead-free, while the sommeliers, vinum, vinum extreme, and grape use leaded crystal.

I've never heard Riedel claim they made the water taste better.

No, but they really bring that aroma of toothpaste to the front!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm

JoeArmano wrote:
Bill Hooper wrote:Are there too many Riedel glasses? Maybe, but in this case, it looks as if the Oregon Pinot producers wanted another one. Riedel is just supplying what the market asked for. There's nothing wrong with that. It looks like a good promotion for Oregon Pinot Noir too. I certainly don't own every shape, but I buy the ones that suit my favorite wines and I do like the constant reevaluation and evolution of the shapes. BUT, that said, you're not likely to find Riedel WATER GLASSES at my house!

Prost!
Bill

Bill, I hope you are kidding... WATER GLASSES??? Holy cow! That is uncalled for. But, maybe I am just an regular water drinking and not a serious drinker. Any WATER Enthusiasts out there?

Ciao,
Joe A.

See one of my earlier posts.

rwj
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:01 pm

I'm a devoted user of the water glass, it just looks nice on the table next to the other stems, the way silverware matches.

They're expensive at full price, but I got them on closeout for $2.50 each.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:27 pm

wnissen wrote:I'm a devoted user of the water glass, it just looks nice on the table next to the other stems, the way silverware matches.

They're expensive at full price, but I got them on closeout for $2.50 each.

Walt

All joking aside, this was my thought on why they produced a water glass. I'm sure they look good with the stemware.

rwj
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:36 pm

p.s. Riedel's water glass is one of the best beer glasses I can think of.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Previous