The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine allergen warnings: Good idea?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:25 pm

(From this week's [30 Second Wine Advisor)

While I was reading the small print on the back label of a Barossa Valley Australian red the other day (doesn't everyone do that?), I noticed something unusual: "Contains sulfites and egg products."

Wait! What? The sulfite warning isn't surprising: That's been required by U.S. law since around 1990. But egg products? This warning seemed new.

Now, to clarify, the fact that eggs have an occasional role in wine making is no surprise. Egg whites, milk products, bentonite clay, and, more rarely, isinglass from sturgeon bladders and, in older times, dried ox blood, have been used for centuries to clarify wine in production, a process known as "fining." These substances, added to the wine while it ages in barrels or tanks, attracts dead yeast and other hazy matter in the wine and, gradually, draws it to the bottom of the barrel as a heavy sediment that stays behind when the clarified wine is siphoned ("racked") to another container. (See image above from StarChefs.com.)

The dead yeast and fining materials, in other words, fall out of the wine and are left behind. None of the material remains in the finished wine, except perhaps in molecular amounts. And therein lies an ongoing, gently simmering controversy. As public attention has focused on protecting the public from allergens in recent years, leading to bans on peanuts in airliners and in schools, regulatory authorities have taken a closer look at potential allergens in wine.

U.S. regulators took a serious look at requiring allergen warning labels on wine in the early 2000s, but the wine industry resisted, arguing that it would be unfair to require a warning for a substance that was used briefly but is no longer in the bottle. As the sulfite warning has amply shown, the mere presence of a warning prompts consumers to assume that the substance of concern is unhealthy and dangerous.

Advocates for warnings argued back that if even minute amounts remain, people with those allergies would be at risk if not warned. But industry opposition, like this angry 2007 rant by writer Dan Berger in the trade publication Wines & Vines, apparently persuaded the federal government not to take action. Wine industry lobbying also apparently persuaded European Union regulators to exempt wine from a list of other food and beverages subject to new allergen-warning rules in 2014.

But Australia and New Zealand, independent neighbors joining forces in this effort, are apparently rushed in where other nations feared to tread.

Australian studies persuaded regulators Down Under that there was no residual protein remaining in Australian red and white wine after fining with egg, fish or milk, and no significant adverse reaction from allergic individuals consuming these wines, so Australian wine labels no longer need to contain an allergy warning for fish and fish products, which are no longer considered to compromise human health.

Yet, according to Australia's Grape and Wine Research and Development Corporation, perhaps in an excess of caution, "Winemakers continue to include a warning statement on the label for egg and milk as a duty of care for the consumer if they are at all uncertain as to whether the wine may contain traces of these processing aids.

"If you have a known allergy to eggs or milk," the Commission warned, "then you consume an allergen-labelled egg and milk fined-wine at your own risk, as there is a still a small chance that traces may be present in the wine."

What's your opinion? Is it a good idea to warn consumers about any possible allergens in wine, or other beverages, or food? Or is it overkill to raise concerns about potential allergens that exist in tiny, unmeasurable quantities if at all? Where would you draw the line?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Wine allergen warnings: Good idea?

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:48 pm

I am really sick of the endless warnings on items we have been consuming for eons.

Get over it.

I don’t care. Remove all warning labels. Dump hot coffee in your lap. I don’t care.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:48 pm

If there is a real possibility of someone dying because the wine has an allergen, yes put it on the label. If not, don't - so people with allergies have something they should be able to drink safely. That's the way it is in the EU with packaged foods, and similar allergen information should be available in restaurants over here. Sounds fair and sensible to me. Internationally recognised logos seems the way to go, to avoid multiple language labels.

Now whether traces of egg fining could cause a problem, I don't know. Even if the fining agent should be removed completely, I suppose there always a chance of some sort of mishap...?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:08 pm

I just don’t care enough.

Maybe it’s from working at a company of thousands of people where they banned citrus for 11 years because of one employee. That wasn’t a “reasonable accommodation.” That was telling 3000 people what they couldn’t have for lunch in case the one person walked by. I lost all sympathy.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:07 pm

The US already has the "contains sulfites" warning label for a potential allergen. And there are some people who are hypersensitive to sulfites. But they already know who they are and what to avoid. This warning is a blatant attempt by neo-prohibitionists to scare the public. If they were really interested in protecting the sulfite-sensitive, they'd be requiring warning labels on fast food french fries, which have far higher sulfite concentrations than any wine. I have mild asthma and have a mild reaction to high sulfite levels--McDonald's french fries always give me a tight throat for about 1/2 hour after eating them. But I've never noticed any such problems with wine.

I always thought that labels regarding egg white fining in wine were there to assist vegans in choosing a wines that meet their dietary restrictions. Sort of like kosher and halal labeling.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:56 pm

As all wines contain sulphites I can see the argument that the warning is pretty pointless. However as I understand it in the EU, all foods must warn about sulphites if they contain them - wines are not being singled out, so at least there is consistency.

With egg and fish finings, the situation is different. Some wines contain them - some don't. And these allergens are not being banned. The only requirement is for a warning on the label.

Incidenatally, McDonald's declare all ingredients, and possible contaminations, in their fries. And there are none of the notifiable allergens. Not in the UK at least.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:19 pm

Do the declare them on the bag or box of fries? Or is it only in some book near the counter?

No warnings on the containers of fries in the USA (at least none 18 months ago when I last had them).
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:46 pm

I found the info on the McD's UK website. I have also just found a restaurant menu (an image that a customer seems to have taken) which says at the bottom "For allergen information please ask a member of staff" - and the staff will be legally required to have an accurate list of allergens for each item. I haven't been inside a McD's for years now, but a Chinese take-away close to me has all the allergens displayed directly against the items on the menu in icon form.

I believe the requirement is just that accurate allergen information must be readily available. For packaged food, sold in supermarkets for example, often the only practical method is to have it printed on the packet. In proper restaurants it could well be the case that the only person who really knows is someone in the kitchen.

People are still dying from food allergies due to restaurant staff ignorance when customers have been given incorrect information, but now at least there are clearly defined responsibilities, and prosecutions result. The latest case (of death and prosecution) reported recently in the UK was due to a chef not realising that his stock cubes contained celery.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:49 am

I'm with David on this.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:42 am

According to mcdonalds.ca, McDonalds doesn't add sulfites to their french fries, at least not in Canada and the UK. In the US they used to use sulfites as an antioxidant to prevent the potatoes from turning brown before they're fried. It may be that they've stopped that practice. I wouldn't know--it's been years since I've eaten at a McDonalds.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

by kasey.dubler » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:58 am

I do appreciate this. 8 different foods account for 90% of all food allergens; Eggs is one of the 8. I see nothing wrong with having people label these. It doesn't hurt anybody to do so. Banning those foods because people are allergic would be crazy.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:01 pm

I get sick of warnings too. Should we have a vegetarian warning "Be advised that a sheep may have cast a meaningful glance at this bottle of wine"?

Here are some more.

Warning label on a wheelbarrow: Not intended for highway use.

Warning label on a baby stroller: Remove child before folding

Warning label on a carpenter’s electric drill: This product not intended for use as a dental drill

Warning label on a bottle of dog medication: May cause drowsiness - use care when operating a car

Warning label on a dishwasher: Don't allow children to play in dishwasher

Warning label on a box of rat poison: Warning - has been found to cause cancer in laboratory mice

Warning label on a package of fireplace logs: Caution - risk of fire

And getting back to eggs: (On a box of eggs) Warning - contains eggs.......
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:39 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Warning label on a baby stroller: Remove child before folding

I love that one.

Warning label on a bottle of dog medication: May cause drowsiness - use care when operating a car

This sort of thing is the result of poorly written regulations. There's probably a rule with a list of drugs that says all medications containing one or more of those drugs must carry the warning. The stipulation "drugs for human use should be there.

Warning label on a box of rat poison: Warning - has been found to cause cancer in laboratory mice

This one's not entirely unreasonable. It is possible that whatever's in the stuff might be a human carcinogen, too, and therefore one should exercise caution when handling it, such as using gloves, washing one's hand afterwards, and taking care not to use it near food or places where food is prepared.

-Paul W.