The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Kansas City competition works to raise awareness of non-vinifera wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Kansas City competition works to raise awareness of non-vinifera wines

by Paul B. » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:33 am

I know that like minds will love this article - I sure did when I read it this morning!

Lauren Chapen of the Kansas City Star wrote:The goal of the competition is to eliminate “grape racism,” the prejudice against other-than-California wines, Frost says. And although he has yet to win the war, he is winning battles. Thanks in part to the Jefferson Cup, which started in 1999, regional wines made from lesser-known grapes are winning critical acclaim and, ultimately, favor with wine drinkers.

Eliminating Grape-ism: Prestigious KC competition works to end prejudice against non-California wines
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Kansas City competition works to raise awareness of non-vinifera wines

by Howie Hart » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:51 am

It doesn't surprise me that a Late harvest Vignoles was one of the top award winners. Alan Wolfe's vertical at '05 NiagaraCOOL was truly impressive.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:56 am

Very true, Howie. Heck - I liked all of Alan's wines, including the most enjoyable sparkling Chambourcin. If a winery in Ontario made a sparkling red hybrid I would definitely champion the wine and serve it often at my dinner table. I also greatly enjoyed Alan's Chambourcins and Nortons.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:05 am

There's just one detail that I have to pick bones with (and I feel I must do this for the sake of consistency, though in this case it's simply the consistency of my own observations over the years): the part near the end that states ...

•Chambourcin: A red wine hybrid that makes a richly colored wine, Chambourcin reminds some of a great Merlot.

It may remind some of Merlot, but in my frank assessment, Chambourcin is much, much more along the lines of a Northern Italian red with its crisp acidity and cherry/smoke aromas (of course, much depends on the oak regimen used). The same is true of the other mainline red hybrids: I can't think of any that I'd compare to plush, soft, velvety Merlot. Uh-uh. The acidity and wildness make the groups too different.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:47 pm

Paul B...have to agree with your Chambourcin comments!