The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: EdmundsStJohn LesFleurs du Chaparral '87...(short/borin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: EdmundsStJohn LesFleurs du Chaparral '87...(short/borin

by TomHill » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:43 am

Unearthed this wine last night (don't ask!!), so thought I'd give it a try:
1. EdmundsStJohn Les Fleurs du Chaparral NapaVlly (TW; Mourv/Carignane/Cabernet; MayacamasRange; U/U) Berkeley 1987: Med. rather murky slight browning color; strong cedary/pencilly/old Red fairly earthy/loamy/bit mushroomy some oldBdx bit herbal rather complex interesting nose; some tart/tangy rather metallic/bit tired quite cedary/pencilly/cigar box/old Bdx rather earthy/loamy/dusty/mushroomy some dried out/tired flavor w/ light drying/astringent tannins; very long rather tired/dried out/metallic fairly cedary/pencilly/oldBdx rather earthy/loamy/mushroomy/root cellar finish w/ light astringent tannins; no fruit left to speak of; not a whole lot of hedonistic pleasure but of considerable intellectual interest; quite interesting oldBdx nose but pretty tired/drying on the palate.
1. Not sure what vnyds these grapes came from, but would expect that ChesterBrandlin was involved. This was made in Berkeley at his original wnry lcation, before he moved down to Emeryville behind the Oaks Card Shop. Though no Spring Chicken then, Steve was a lot younger when this wine was made (snicker/snicker).
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: EdmundsStJohn LesFleurs du Chaparral '87...(short/b

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:30 am

Mourvedre and Carignan from Brandlin, Cabernet Sauvignon from Leaky Lake, the vineyard Travis Fretter and his father, Bill, planted in the early '70's on the Southern end of Spring Mountain. It's about 18% Cab. Travis' uncle dropped by the winery one afternoon, and said the portion of the vineyard that Duckhorn didn't pick had about a quarter ton left, did I want it? Being impulsive, I said sure. (What could go wrong? This was the year my press had burst into flames, I was wearing a cervical collar on my neck, and had managed to come down with "Housemaid's Knee.") This wine is one of two that ended up in the Wine SpecatorTop 100, back in '89 or '90; can't remember which.
I haven't tasted the wine for probably ten years, and I wasn't that crazy about it the last few times I had it. Too much Cab, and, I think, too much alcohol. Live and learn.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...