The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Fantastic wine tasting at Markko

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: Fantastic wine tasting at Markko

by Jim Grow » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:54 pm

While visiting my sister in NE Ohio I made time to visit several high-end Lake Erie AVA wineries ( Harpersfield and Ferrante) and spent all of 5-6 minutes at each. They were much more about the sizzle and less about the substance. Then I finally found Markko Winery which I have been hoping to visit for decades. It was well worth the search as it is NOT well directed by the local tourism dept. Tucked in the middle of a large wood lot, you better know the address. we were the only visitors there at noon but more folks quickly joined us. Arnie was mentored by Dr. Frank, I,m thinking in the early/mid 60's, and he obviously learned well. We started off with the 2015 Chardonnay (all pours were generous and free) and went thur 2013 and 2012 (great yr.) (no 2014 due to total loss from extreme cold) then on to Riesling of various years and three different Cabernets with some C.F. etc. in the blend. Somewhere in all of that Arnie brought out a 1991 Chardonnay from a bottle opened yesterday that was absolutely mind-boggling even if a tiny bit past prime. Well, to make a long story a bit shorter I was enthralled and asked many questions and ended up buying a few Chards. and a LH Chard also. I believe he is more well known for his Chards. than red or Rieslings but they were respectable also. Arnie went looking for a bottle of the 1991 Chard.at his next-door home that I wanted to buy but could not find it. Maybe next time and there WILL be a next time. Probably the most exciting 2 hrs. I have ever spent with a wine maker! Arnie is an American wine maker without equal and so unassuming as to be unknown to many wine lovers. I feel blessed with this encounter and will visit him again (soon I hope as he is not a young man).
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: Fantastic wine tasting at Markko

by Howie Hart » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:14 am

I've been to a few wineries in the Lake Erie AVA, but from NY and PA. The Markko wines are sold in one of the large wine shops in Buffalo. I'll have to pick something up. Thanks for posting, and I agree about 2012 vintage in the area.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

Re: WTN: Fantastic wine tasting at Markko

by Dan Smothergill » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:34 pm

Arn is a delightful guy I've met at a couple of AWS conferences. Keep meaning to stop at his winery when driving west but haven't done it yet.