The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Some Recent Surprises.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Some Recent Surprises.

by Brian K Miller » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:02 pm

Visited Madonna Estate, and they were sampling some library vintages. The 2006 Estate (Carneros) Cabernet was outstanding, actually. Coming from a warmer year, it was just ripe enough, Met the owners....they have been in the business since the 1920s! Lovely wine!

At the Holiday Walk in Glen Ellen, we samples some nice wines, including the 2012 Laurel Glen and a lovely older Pinot from Talisman. The surprise of the day, though, was an amazing Mendocino County Charbono from Kivelstadt Cellars. We had not really enjoyed the KC wines last year, but for some reason three of them showed very well: The funky red cherry/plum/earth Charbono. A Sonoma Valley Syrah that showed lovely medium bodied Syrahness, and a quite fresh and (for acid hounds) lively Old Vine Carrigan. Very enjoyable wines.

Glen Ellen Inn has an IMPRESSIVE wine list. Reasonably priced as well. We were able to enjoy a lovely 2001 William Selyem Weir Vineyard Pinot. A little spritzy when first poured, this amazing mature pinot just sang with a red meat oriented meal. Very impressive food, too!

With Sunday Dinner (Corn Lasagne!), we enjoyed a Donkey and Goat Pinot Gris "Orange" wine. Lovely light and lithe tea notes. The red was their 2016 easy quaffer, the 2016 Gli Gli Syrah from El Dorado County. My friend and I debated this, but I really enjoyed the tart cranberry, earth, violets, and quaffability. It also complemented the pomegranate in the dish. My friend was less enamored.
We also sampled a 2014 Pinot from Sonoma Coast made by Fogline Vintners. A rich yet enjoyable coastal pinot, with plenty of dark cranberry fruit and earth
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach