The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Late Harvest Question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Late Harvest Question

by Jim Grow » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:20 pm

While drinking a 2012 Qupe Roussanne tonight (excellent acid and great fruit) I was wondering if anyone made LH wine from Roussanne or Marsanne. They seem like lovely varietals to make desert wines from. I am aware of course of Chard/Riesling/
Pinot Gris/Pinot Blanc (rarely)/Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon/Gruner. The other two wine types along with Grenache Blanc I do not think I have encountered as LH wines. Just wondering?
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:19 pm

Jim Grow wrote:While drinking a 2012 Qupe Roussanne tonight (excellent acid and great fruit) I was wondering if anyone made LH wine from Roussanne or Marsanne. They seem like lovely varietals to make desert wines from. I am aware of course of Chard/Riesling/
Pinot Gris/Pinot Blanc (rarely)/Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon/Gruner. The other two wine types along with Grenache Blanc I do not think I have encountered as LH wines. Just wondering?

Yup, Jim. BobLindquist has a ‘13 Marianne Doux from Sawyer-Lindquist. John Alban made a number of Roussanne TBA’s. And there have been others.
Tom
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Late Harvest Question

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:23 pm

Jim Grow wrote:While drinking a 2012 Qupe Roussanne tonight (excellent acid and great fruit) I was wondering if anyone made LH wine from Roussanne or Marsanne. They seem like lovely varietals to make desert wines from. I am aware of course of Chard/Riesling/

Never seen one. In general my preferred dessert wines are from grapes that can maintain acidity when fully ripe- Riesling, Chenin Blanc, Semillon,. The Rhone grapes often seem flabby to me when very ripe, so not something I'd personally search for. I seldom enjoy Chardonnay LH wines either. Also don't know how Rous/Mars do with botrytis
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Late Harvest Question

by Howie Hart » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:41 am

FWIW - Regarding Ice Wine. The local weather has not cooperated locally this year. According to the records, the lowest temperature recorded during November, December and January is 17 DegF and the 10-day forecast isn't encouraging. Temps must be below 14 for several hours. Vidal Blanc is the most popular grape for making Ice Wine, but some folks make it from Cab Franc. I've never found a local Riesling Ice Wine. Is this an El Nino year?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.