The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Too many choices - glassware edition

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Too many choices - glassware edition

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:21 pm

I am test driving some new glassware, and it’s really getting to the point of insanity. I spend more time choosing a glass than choosing a wine.

High end problems for certain, but it raises the question:

Do you have a general purpose glass for essentially everything, or do you use specialty glasses (e.g. Riedel for specific grapes or similar things)?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Too many choices - glassware edition

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Interesting question! We have a cabinet full of mixed Riedels, but mostly pairs and singles. I've tried the oversize models and decided that they just don't make me happy. We'll use a Chianti or a Chardonnay, usually, with a nice dinner, but they really don't get a lot of use. We've got cheap but serviceable tulip stems for everyday use, and I'll often throw down a Riedel O just for the heck of it. I also have some old Les Impitoyables mini-tasters that I'll still use for an analytical tasting and report, because they really do concentrate the nose.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:36 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I am test driving some new glassware, and it’s really getting to the point of insanity. I spend more time choosing a glass than choosing a wine.

How many types are we talking about here? Are you pouring, sniffing and tasting with each one for each wine?!?!

David M. Bueker wrote:Do you have a general purpose glass for essentially everything, or do you use specialty glasses (e.g. Riedel for specific grapes or similar things)?

I essentially have two types. The Riedel Vinum Bordeaux and Syrah glasses are pretty interchangeable in my view and those are my standard glasses. I also have the Riedel Vinum Pinot Noir glasses, mostly for Burgundy and Nebbiolo. I have some of the riesling glasses and they are elegant but I never use them.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:41 pm

I essentially have three new glass types. I received some Zalto Universals for Christmas. Then I was given one each of two different glasses from a new company (Grassl Glass) to test out.

I used the Zalto for a week or so to get a feel for it. Really like it. Now testing the Grassl glasses, using a Schott Zweisel “Zin/Chianti” type stem as my control glass. The SZ has been my go to the last several years.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:58 am

I have one glass left from a pair I bought about 20 years ago and it is my daily "go-to" glass. It's a tall, 14 oz. red wine glass with an almost spherical bowl. The rest of my wine glass collection is divided into two groups. I have about 2 dozen cheap glasses from Dollar Tree in various styles (sparkling, 22 oz. red and 14 oz. white) that I use for picnics and parties, where I don't care if a guest breaks one. The good glasses, used only for sit-down dinners, are mostly Riedel (Bordeaux, Burgundy, Chardonnay), but my favorite is the Luigi Bormioli Cabernet-Merlot titanium.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:30 pm

Luigi Bormioli? Don’t know those.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:24 pm

The Luigi Bormioli "Aero Goblets" are pretty neat. The are designed with a helical incision made in the inside of the bowl, which aids in swirling creating more "disturbance" resulting in a greater air-wine mixture. Great for evaluating "young and evolving" wines right out of barrel.

Salute
no avatar
User

Timo Olavi

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Helsinki

by Timo Olavi » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:16 pm

All I use anymore is the Stölzle Lausitz Quatrophil Bordeaux.

Elegant shape, not too small nor grotesquely large, thin glass, thin stem, and very affordable (I paid 30 EUR for 6). I don't see myself getting any new glassware for a long time.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:01 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Luigi Bormioli? Don’t know those.
These are what I have. One of the local wineries uses them for tastings. I liked them and made a birthday request for a set several years ago. Mary Jo bought them for me from the winery.
https://www.amazon.com/Luigi-Bormioli-Prestige-Cabernet-Glasses/dp/B000EN830W
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:12 pm

I have way too many glasses. Still have a bunch of the Spiegelau Claret from Amazon deals 15+ years ago, but don't use often.
Like David I am "test driving" a Grassl Glass stem (in my case the Liberte, which is intended as a universal glass). Nice glass.

When it's just Betsy and I usually do Zalto white if a lighter white or a rose, either Zalto Universals or Gabriel Glas Gold for bigger whites and for reds. If I'm highlighting a particular Bordeaux or Burg I might pull out that SZ version, but that is rare

I keep a few of the Gabriel Glas machine mades in the boxes they came in, for when I need to carry stems. And I have a few Os that I only use for picnics (lack of stem is great if on grass)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:30 pm

I have LOVED Zaltos the few times I've used them, but I own too many Riedels to re-invest.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:42 am

I do have a couple versions of Riedels, but mainly just use the Bordeaux for most reds and whites except for pinot, where I use the Riedel pinot glasses I've collected from trips to Oregon. I have to have cristal glasses, but aren't too fussy about specific variety specific types (except pinot).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:15 am

John S wrote:I do have a couple versions of Riedels, but mainly just use the Bordeaux for most reds and whites except for pinot, where I use the Riedel pinot glasses I've collected from trips to Oregon. I have to have cristal glasses, but aren't too fussy about specific variety specific types (except pinot).

We're twins. We have some freebie Riedels that came with wine at a show at Chateau Ste Michelle. Slightly smaller than a Bordeaux glass but much much larger than the chard/zin glass, it's kind of the perfect all around glass for the types of wines we prefer--except pinots or good chardonnays. Then we must have the burg bowls.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:20 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Luigi Bormioli? Don’t know those.

I got several boxes of their 'Roma' Chardonnay glasses* for everyday use because
1) They are short enough to fit in dishwasher rack
2) they do not have a lip
3) They are a nice shape
4) They were inexpensive

I like them, I like their shape. As years have gone by I've lost some to breakages and clouding but when recently I tried to buy more I found they were no longer available.

I've also got some Riedel Syrah glasses and (from gifts, TK Maxx and free with wine orders) some large Dartingtons but they all need hand washing so are used only on Sundays and special occasions.

For Champagne and other fizz I have some lovely tulip shape glasses from Spieglau (via T K Maxx) and the remainder of a box of 6 that came with a case of Freixenet Cava. Plus some flutes.

* https://www.amazon.com/Luigi-Bormioli-R ... mioli+roma
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:24 pm

Victorwine wrote:The Luigi Bormioli "Aero Goblets" are pretty neat.

I didn't know about them. I've got a box of 6 glasses waiting to replace everyday 'Roma' otherwise I would get those Aero...
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:52 pm

The good ole plain ISO tasting glass.

-Paul W.