The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Warm vintage Joguet Chenins: 97, 03, 05

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Warm vintage Joguet Chenins: 97, 03, 05

by Saina » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:19 pm

Joguet Chinon Les Petites Roches 2005 is quite a monster. 13,5% abv and purple in colour. Weird. The nose is a touch roasted and has a Beujolaisish touch of something lactic + raspberry. Weird. There are gladly enough Cab Francy nuances of tobacco, herbs, etc. that I want to taste this again in a year or so to see if it has become any more normal: this seems more a barrel sample than a finished wine.

Joguet Chinon Clos du Chêne Vert 1997 smells Chinonny and tastes almost Chinonny. Sure it's from a warm year (shows a bit more ripeness than ideal IMO), shows more Brett than usual with the grape (very shitty wine, very shitty indeed), and (so I hear) not from Joguet's best era, but it's one lovable wine anyway.

Joguet Clos du Chêne Vert 2003 is one freakish wine! 14% abv is something I've never experienced before in Cab F. It reminds me most of a Super-Tuscan. It has some fresh herbal/bitter nuances, but a huge concentration of fruit and an almost honeyed sweetness. The palate has more fruit than it can handle IMO. The acidity is a bit on the low side, the tannins are noticable, but unfortunately so is the 14% abv. It does have some minerality underneath also and to be frank, though sweetly fruity it doesn't become cloying.

With the label visible, I am able to see enough Cab F character that I will consider buying a bottle or two. But I would have loved to taste this blind: I'm not sure I would be so positive on it then.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Warm vintage Joguet Chenins: 97, 03, 05

by Saina » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:59 pm

Well, I'm enjoying a quick retaste of last night's wines:

The Petites Roches is still weird. I'm not convinced with this wine on its showing today.

The 1997 Holm Oak (is that Chêne Vert in English?) is showing identical to yesterday! I would have thought that if not decline, there would at least be a significant change over a day. A nice wine for sure. Lovable.

The 2003 has calmed down very much and shows an aromatic profile very similar to the 1997. The alcohol isn't noticable anymore and there are even more Cab F aromas coming out. It's still a very sweet variation of the grape, but I do consider it a success: it seems a fair wine in the context of other Chêne Verts, not only within the context of this difficult vintage. I think I will buy a bottle or two of this to lay down.

I thought that 1997 was a very hot vintage also? But why is it that the '97 is 12,5% while the '03 is 14%? Was '03 really that much warmer or is there a wine making decision here also? BTW, Alko tests all wines so the labels in these cases do conform to the +/-0,5% that is demanded in the EU.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.