The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:01 pm

WTN: Idlewild Cortese FoxHillVnyd '14...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:31 pm

Tried this Fri night w/ Susan:
1. Idlewild Cortese FoxHillVnyd/MendoCnty (13.8%) 2014: Deep golden/burnished bronze color; very fragrant honeyed/orangey/honeycomb/graham cracker slight floral/fruity very slight resiny/phenolic almost muscatty slight nutty quite complex nose; quite tart/tangy rather honeyed/honeycomb/orangey/graham cracker/honey grahams rather nutty lightly phenolic/resiny bit oxidative some bitter complex flavor; very long orangey/honeyed/honeycomb/honey grahams somewhat nutter/bitter quite tart/tangy bit oxidative slight resiny/phenolic somewhat lean/austere/rather bitter complex finish; has evolved in a very strange way & lost the lush fruit it once showed; seems more like a Georgian austere qvervi Rikatsetelli w/ a trace of oxidation more than the Idlewild I know & love; don't understand this wine at all. $32.00
some orangey/honeyed/honeycomb very perfumed/floral complex beautiful nose; fairly tart some phenolic/resiny/
skin-contact strong orangey/honeyed/honeycomb bit pencilly light floral/figgy/appley quite complex flavor w/
light tannic bite; very long/lingering modest phenolic/skin-contact/resiny some figgy/floral/appley rather
orangey/honeycomb finish w/ light tannic bite; a beautiful skin-contact white w/ a great balance of fruit/
complexity and phenolic character. $32.00

I obviously loved that wine back then. This btl left me scratching my head. It was not a bad wine, per se, and was perfectely fine w/ the broiled keilbasa...but it had evolved into something I totally did not expect. I was particularly struch by the bitter streak it showed on the palate.
Tom
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Idlewild Cortese FoxHillVnyd '14...(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:02 pm

No 2014 left in my cellar. Lots of 2015 and 2016 though.
Only a free and unrestrained press can effectively expose deception in government.
- Justice Hugo Black
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well...

by TomHill » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:23 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:No 2014 left in my cellar. Lots of 2015 and 2016 though.

Well, David...that's what happens for living in the fast lane/instant gratification mode.
I asked Sam to pull a btl and see if this is happening or my btl was off. I have one more left.
Tom
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Musta Been An Off Btl...

by TomHill » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:17 pm

As FloridaJim reports:
FloridaJim wrote:‘Had a bottle with spinach pizza tonight.
I’d say this one gives us hope - showed young with little oxidation and almost no sour notes. Perhaps a bit of bitter but off-set by freshness and citric tones. Much enjoyed.
That said, I had a bottle maybe six months ago that was more like yours; so bottle variation seems likely.
Let me know what Sam says.
Best, Jim

And as SamBilbro reports:
Sam wrote:Hi Tom
I opened a bottle yesterday at the winery, and it seems like you had a off bottle. Ryan tried it too, and we both though it had great density and fruit.
So, the culprit sounds like heat damage, a faulty (porous) cork, or maybe a really low rate of TCA... I usually find that to not show TCA but to have hollowed out the fruit and liveliness. Or, maybe a combination of any of the above.
Want to leave a space in your next order and I’ll toss in a replacement bottle from the library?
Thanks,
Sam

Sam Bilbro
Idlewild Wines

Tom