The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

June Wine Focus: Back to basics with the Mosel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: June Wine Focus: Back to basics with the Mosel

by Tim York » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:20 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I find your note more than surprising, given that I know that wine very well, and know the specs. It’s quite high acid.

It surprised me too for the reasons outlined in my TN. Bottle variation exists in 18 year old wines but I can't think what mishandling would result in the apparent dumbing down of acids. The cork and fill level were fine.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:49 pm

Tim York wrote: I can't think what mishandling would result in the apparent dumbing down of acids.

In my experience, heat damaged wine is often softer and more lacking structure than it should be.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:12 am

2001 St. Urbans-Hof Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (6/26/2019)
My last bottle of this, and it was certainly on point. Not fully mature by any means, but showing a lovely blend of the remaining primary fruit, that honeyed character that marks almost all Godtröpfchen wines, and boatloads of minerals on the finish. The word that kept coming back to me was purity. This was not about richness or sweetness, it was about a lovely balance that clearly showed the greatness of the vineyard. Lovely wine!
Decisions are made by those who show up
Previous