The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Weiss Rot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Weiss Rot

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:36 pm

2017 Vollenweider Wolfer Goldgrube Riesling Kabinett feinherb
Salty crunchy citrus with solid weight. Lots of refreshing cut but also enough middlebody to roll around your tongue. Nothing to ponder, but great aperitif wine that screams 'relax'.

2015 Schloss Neuweier Goldenes Loch Riesling GG
Golden ripe and succulent but so nicely framed with firm structured presence that makes it all feel very balanced. You sense that it is not showing all of its layers or nuances right now, but it is clearly beautiful and a joy to drink.

2013 Schloss Neuweier Mauerwein Riesling GG
Linear, elegance, not as much depth or guts as the 2015 Goldenes Loch, but still the firm backbone structure. A nice fresh brisk yet firm entry into the Riesling-as-Muscadet category of Baden wine.

2017 Knipser Chardonnay & Weißburgunder
I do not usually gravitate towards these mixed cuvees, but when others do not want riesling, it can happen. And I suppose there is some logic here. Chardonnay providing flavor and depth, Weißburgunder providing the framework. Not sure you can taste either grape right now, but if you want pleasant fresh crisp minerally white wine that will service your meal, that can be arranged.

2016 Lidy Frankweiler Biengarten Spätburgunder trocken
Interesting woodsey earthy take on Spätburgunder. Wait a minute... this is corked!
Second bottle shows the typical juicy mineral fruit with that slight woodsey vegetal (but not TCA) edge that seems typical of Spätburgunder. Succulent inside, but linear lacy mineral structure. A great combo for my palate. Uncomplicated affordable fun.

2012 Jean Stodden Spätburgunder JS
I understand the high-end cuvees here can get very pricey, but not sure I'm motivated to pay for the experience. This is certainly lovely, a tasty drop of aged and mellowing Spätburgunder. Juicy berries but fading into a harmonious structure and picking up the ethereal feather-light structure. Not sure I would hold on too much longer for my tastes. Right now this is pretty fun for me, at least at the roughly 20euros it goes for in Germany.

2015 Enderle & Moll Spätburgunder Muschelkalk
Damn that's good! Shows dark dense 2015 fruit at first, but loosens up with a bit of air. I am not an expert on Spätburgunder, but these E&M wines really speak to me. They have much greater clarity on the fruit and none of the woodsey vegetal stuff I get with most Spätburgunders. These E&M wines are distilled essences. Pure fruit. Yet plenty of elegant ethereal structure as well. Like drinking jewels. Or at least that's what comes to my (drunken) mind as I work my way through the bottle. Great stuff.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Weiss Rot

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:42 pm

I have lost any reasonable access to Vollenweider.

That Enderle and Moll sounds wonderful. I need to replenish my Spatburgunder stock. I think I am down to two bottles.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Weiss Rot

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:57 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:That Enderle and Moll sounds wonderful. I need to replenish my Spatburgunder stock. I think I am down to two bottles.

I very rarely buy the stuff in the US myself, there just seem to be too many other options competing in similar stylistic territory. And of course I try to limit the number of producers I follow closely, which also makes it harder to buy widely.

But from scattershot explorations over the years, Enderle and Moll are certainly near the top of my personal list. Will see how quickly I deepen those explorations.