The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

August Wine Focus: Back to Basics with the Loire

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: August Wine Focus: Back to Basics with the Loire

by Tim York » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:40 pm

Tim York
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:23 am

Here is a fine example of mature dry Loire chenin. An outstanding feature is the good QPR these wines represent (c.€30 for a mature Foreau vintage according to Wine Searcher) compared to comparable quality in, say, white Burgundy where, additionally, there is a great risk of premox. However, comparable quality in mature "dry" Riesling from some Alsatian and German producers can be closer to that price with less risk of premox but a greater chance of RS than with Foreau, if not Huet.

2002 Foreau Domaine du Clos Naudin Vouvray Sec - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (11/9/2019)
My mature bottles of Vouvray having been buried at the bottom of a stack, I'd almost forgotten how good it can be, provide that the premox bullet is avoided. At first pour the quite deep amber colour caused me forebodings. However, the nose was not only clean of any hints of sherry but it was complex and beautiful with with notes of white fruit, pineapple, quince, minerals, nuts and a touch of acacia. The dry medium bodied palate was beautifully focussed and followed through on these aromas adding underlying roundness, depth, gentle structure, moreish juicy acidity and lingering length. Probably my dry white of the year to date and much better than my previous bottle judging by my TN. Excellent.
Posted from CellarTracker
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:37 am

Tim York wrote:Here is a fine example of mature dry Loire chenin. An outstanding feature is the good QPR these wines represent (c.€30 for a mature Foreau vintage according to Wine Searcher)...

2002 Foreau Domaine du Clos Naudin Vouvray Sec - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (11/9/2019)
My mature bottles of Vouvray having been buried at the bottom of a stack, I'd almost forgotten how good it can be...

Sounds great. Although Foreau does not go for anything so cheap in the States, recent vintage or aged. (Assuming you can find it. Nowhere near as omnipresent as Huet)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat May 02, 2020 10:36 am

From the Archive.

Some great posts here last August. About to open a 2015 Pinon Vouvray so thought I would post here. Stay tuned!
Previous