The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

RIP Ruthie Grahm

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

RIP Ruthie Grahm

by TomHill » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:15 pm

Just heard from Patrick Comisky that RandallGrahm’s Mom, Ruthie, has passed.
I had the good fortune to spend time with her and Alan several times over the yrs. She was one gem of a lady. She passed her “zany” genes on to Randall. The end of an era.
Tom

I didn't know about her career in the film business. Quite an accomplished person in her own right.
I sat with her & Alan at a BonnyDoon winemaker dinner at SantaFe W&C Fiesta one yr, bringing a couple of my old
BonnyDoon wines. Alan was a kinda quiet guy. But Ruthie was very outgoing & ebullient. And she was dressed in this
very colorful jacket (I hope she's buried in it...because nobody could wear it like her) . I commented to her that I'd
seen peacocks that were not as flashy as her. She got a good laugh from that line.
Tom

Obit
April 4, 1924 - July 30, 2019 Ruth Grahm, beloved widow of Alan Grahm, mother of Randall, Bobby and Isabelle, passed away on July 30, 2019, at the age of 95.
She was educated at UCLA and New York University. Ruth, who preferred to be called Ruthie, was an accomplished songwriter and actress. She was a secretary
to the sports journalist, Red Barber and an assistant at the New Ideas Department for CBS in New York. Ruthie was born in Philadelphia and, with her family,
moved to Los Angeles, where she worked in numerous films as a child and young adult. (She maintained her membership in the Screen Actors Guild her entire life.)
Among her screen credits was the film, "Up in Arms" with Danny Kay. Joining ASCAP in 1952, her chief musical collaborator was her father, Lou Herscher.
Among her popular song compositions were "Orange Blossoms," and "Fifty Games of Solitaire." After devoting much of her adult life to the raising of a family
in Beverly Hills, she enjoyed a second (or maybe third) career as a wine salesperson, representing her family's winery. She was a valued member of
Les Dames d'Escoffier. Ruthie's ebullient and indomitable spirit was truly extraordinary; she made a lasting impression on everyone she met.
Funeral services are at 12:30 on Friday, August 2, at Mt. Sinai Memorial Park Hollywood Hills.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RIP Ruthie Grahm

by Jenise » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:28 pm

It would be the most correct thing to say I'm sorry to hear of her passing, but in fact what I feel is more like joy learning that she made it all the way to 95. I know I told you the story of meeting--and spending an evening with her--in Alaska one time. Impressive isn't a strong enough word for her; she was a life force and I had an instant mom-crush, feeling nothing but jealousy for Randall having her for a mother. Sure was obvious where his personality came from. Great lady, thanks for the post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup..

by TomHill » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:36 pm

Jenise wrote:It would be the most correct thing to say I'm sorry to hear of her passing, but in fact what I feel is more like joy learning that she made it all the way to 95. I know I told you the story of meeting--and spending an evening with her--in Alaska one time. Impressive isn't a strong enough word for her; she was a life force and I had an instant mom-crush, feeling nothing but jealousy for Randall having her for a mother. Sure was obvious where his personality came from. Great lady, thanks for the post.

Yup, Jenise. I remember that you had some sort of connection with Ruthie but didn’t remember the details.
Tom