The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Any Burgundy experts around?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Any Burgundy experts around?

by Dale Williams » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:03 pm

nice report, thanks.
Kobrand does a nice job with these things.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:20 pm

Thanks, Dale.

In an earlier draft, I incorrectly wrote that Lardière considered the 1968 a great vintage. A Burger said this must be wrong -- it was a thin acidic vintage. I corrected the typo after re-reading my notes.

In doing so, I remembered an incident during the dinner concerning the 1978 vintage. The Foodie asked why Lardière was making so much of the 1978 vintage. Both Burgers were eloquent on the subject, agreeing, disagreeing, analyzing -- great fireworks. See the discussion above on the "Clos des Ursules" 1978, for example. I sure learned a great deal.

My answer would have been a little different -- ad hominem, perhaps. The brochure contained a small biography:

Born in 1948 in Vendée, France, Jacques Lardière decided at an early age to dedicate his life to winemaking.

He graduated with distinction fro the school of Viticulture and Oenology of Alentours (Mâcon), Mr. Lardière was drawn to research in the biology of aromas and bacteria under close association with Professor Brechot of the Pasteur Institue and Jules Chauvet, an expert in aromatic identification.

In 1970, Mr. Lardière joined Maison Louis Jadot in the capacity of assistant oenologist under Mr. André Gagey, then Managing Director.

He was appointed Technical Director in 1980, and is respected as one of France's most brilliant, passionate and inspired winemakers.

Jacques Lardière is married with three children.

I wonder if his opinion might have been informed by what must have been an important life passage in his career, a vintage he would have been working on when he was promoted. Only speculation, of course -- I didn't ask him.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:51 pm

Bob
Thanks for taking time to write this up. What an amazing evening of food and wine and company to share it with. Beautiful.
Marc D
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:00 am

Marc, thanks so much for the link to the Allen Meadows interview with Jacques Lardiére. It certainly gave me a great insight into how the evening might go. I appreciate it very much.

Regards, Bob
Previous