The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Williams Selyem Pinot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

Williams Selyem Pinot

by Tom V » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:29 pm

Ah, my lucky day, perhaps. After my trip last February to Mendocino and Sonoma I became very enthusiastic about the wines from the region. Especially Pinots and some of the coastal & Mendocino Whites.

As soon as I got back I went online and signed up for the waiting list for Williams Selyem...and, I just received an email notifying me that I am now eligible to purchase a case of allocated Pinot Noirs ranging from $31 to $65 Dollars and originating from various sites and vineyards in Sonoma, Sonoma Coast, RR, & the Central Coast.

I signed up because of the Rep having only sampled the wines once years ago...So, I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with these wines and their aging requirements. The offering is for wines from the 2005 vintage. Tom V
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Williams Selyem Pinot

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:11 pm

Tom - I love Williams Selyem Pinots, and they love to age. Not too long ago, I had a 1998 Sonoma Coast and it was among my favorite Pinots. A lightweight 2001 Sonoma County was enjoyed a couple of months ago. I have some Ferrington and Precious Mountain in my cellar, and they do best with more age than the Sonomas. I never considered signing up for the mailing list. Somehow, I thought the wait would have been longer to get on. Enjoy the wines.
Diane
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

nyc

by Tom V » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:33 pm

Thanks for the input Diane, to tell you the truth I didn't expect to be able to get any of the wines for a couple of years, maybe my name came out of the hat! I don't think I can resist, I'll just have to put some of these goodies in my cellar! Tom V
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:09 pm

What a change from the old days, Tom. Years ago, when I finally became eligible for wine, my allocation was ONE bottle. Over about five years I graduated to four bottles, then was notified that I was getting cut back to two. Meanwhile, thanks to the internet I found out that new people were getting on the list all the time, and some who'd been on the list the same time or a little less as long as I were getting more wines (that's when I said 'forget it'). I'm shocked you got a chance to buy a case--and the prices aren't half bad either.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:22 pm

Hi Tom,

One of the best CA pinots I have ever had was a 1994 Williams Selyem pinot at MoCool. I had it at the California Dreaming MoCool which I think was in 2004, so the wine was 10 years old. It aged well and was so seductively delicious on the palate that I just loved it. Recent vintages I have tried are a little more new world (fruit driven) in style, but the 1994 was more burgundian. Both styles were really well balanced.
Last edited by Tom N. on Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

nyc

by Tom V » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:30 pm

That's interesting Jenise. Maybe over the years they've acquired more vineyards and sources. I noticed that the wines come from a lot of different locations, and of course the prices are a lot more substantial proportionately than years ago which would probably cut down the field.

Of course, none of this would explain why newer folks would get more of an allocation than older list participants..... come to think of it, it does say on the offering that the allocation is based on previous order patterns. Did you perhaps go through a stretch where you didn't order or ordered lightly?

Maybe they have more to sell now, and so start newbies off with more and adjust future offerings according to their order level.

Or, maybe there is a hat!

Anyway, lucky me, I'm gonna put some in my cellar! Tom V :)
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:45 pm

Williams-Seleym, Littorai and Arcadian consistently make wine in a style that I find attractive. Some people call them `burgundian', but I think what defines them is good acidity and alcohol levels that are not over the top, so one does not get a fruit milk-shake.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes a big fruit bomb is nice to have...they go well with some foods...even steak sometimes....certainly lamb....but they are not elegant, like the WS, Littorai or Arcadian tend to be.

Other producers (Alcina, Hug, A.P. Vin) do have bottlings that are more restrained....and Swan....well, I have to try the Pinots, which I now have in my cellar, and which I think might go into the first category.

So, my advice is buy the WS you can afford....they are at the top of the Pinot pile, IMHO.
Cheers, Jim