The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

February Wine Focus: Syrah from both hemispheres

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: February Wine Focus: Syrah from both hemispheres

by Jenise » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:40 pm

Robin, re your Barnard Griffin: "pleasant table red, not overly complex". That's standard Barnard Griffin, the wines are fruit forward and rounded for an audience who would find complexity (with more acidity and tannins, as is typically the case) confusing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:00 pm

Sounds like the sort of wine I'd give a Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy tasting note: "mostly harmless".

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:42 pm

That's about right, Paul. There's definitely a market for their kind of wine, I begrudge them nothing. It's just not the WLDG kind of winedrinker.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:40 pm

Yeah, here's my problem: At $22 locally, a jacked-up price, that was the only Syrah in the shop that I felt willing to pay for. :(

I do have to say that the Cline Sonoma Coast Syrah that I posted earlier in the thread for a similar price <i>was</i> worth the toll and then some, which gave me the bravery to try the Barnard Griffin, hoping for more of the same. But nope. The acidity and tannins kept it above junk-wine status, but ... well, yeah, "pleasant table red, not overly complex." I'm not sure I'd call it "rounded," though. Just simple. It's a shame that we live in an era when a lot of $20 wines merit that kind of dismissal. A lot of us either can't, or won't, pay a lot more, not everyday.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:27 am

Tahbilk has always featured in my cellar, mostly their Marsanne, Shiraz ( especially the 1860 Old Vines)and Viognier.

The 2008 Tahbilk Shiraz had a screw cap at 14.5% alc. I decanted for one hour but noted no sediment. Still has good depth of color with some noted bricking on the rim.
Nice aromatics over the 2 day period.....red berry, hint of floral, currants, cherry, olive. Initial entry thought was still has good length, soft tannins, medium-bodied plus, big fruit concentration. "Quite savory" from across the table. I enjoyed the pepper and spice along with plum and raspberry. Nothing seems to have dropped away here which is a big plus eh. Wonderful mouthfeel!
Food was braised beef sirloin in a mushroom sauce.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:09 pm

I've got a bunch of Aussie Shirazes to post, just haven't yet. I made it the topic of last week's wine tasting, titled Aussie Fire Relief. I raised over $2000 for the Two Thumbs Koala sanctuary. That's what the C-130 was trying to save when it crashed and killed the three Americans aboard. Giving to them not only continues the animal rescue of James Fitzgerald, it continues the work of the American lives lost. I feel really great about it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:06 pm

So at last week's Aussie tasting, I and another guy opened 10 bottles from our cellars to anchor a 'Reserve Table' at my Australian Fire Relief fundraiser tasting. I tasted eight of the ten wines there (my six and two of Hal's four, which this note begins with):

2004 Mitolo Shiraz G.A.M. McLaren Vale
Fairly sophisticated flavors. I thought of Mitolo as closer to a Two Hands style producer but this one proved me wrong. Showing well, should continue to do so for years to come.

2005 Mollydooker Shiraz Carnival of Love McLaren Vale
Extremely porty. Lavishly sweet and alcoholic--much loved by those who prefer the first and don't mind the second, but way too much for my tastes.

1999 Rosemount Estate Syrah Balmoral McLaren Vale
Showing beautifully right now. Full tertiary but mellow with spicy potpourri notes. My favorite of the group.

2002 Two Hands Shiraz Deer in the Headlights Barossa Valley
More youthful than the mostly traditional wines it was opened with. Big hit with the fans of the blueberry milkshake style of modern syrahs. That's not me but I was begrudgingly impressed with how well it's aging.

2002 Taltarni Cephas Pyrenees Cabernet-Shiraz Blend, Red Blend
Pretty solidly into tertiary territory but where fairly necrotic on uncorking, it was much less so and in fact coming back to life an hour after splash decanting. The result was something you'd have to like old wine to appreciate, but that's us. Drink soon, though.

2005 De Lisio Shiraz Grenache McLaren Vale Shiraz Blend, Syrah
While still showing a mere hint of charcoal, the heavy smoke and sour cream finish we so disliked a year ago has re-integrated into the red fruits, highlighted by strawberry preserves. It's clearly new world but not so clearly McClaren Vale. Drink or hold.

2002 d'Arenberg The Laughing Magpie Shiraz-Viognier McLaren Vale Shiraz Blend, Syrah
Much more enjoyable than our last bottle three years ago. Harmonious strawberry and bing cherry notes with a sweet, spicy core and long, lavish finish. My second favorite.

2003 Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna
Purple color. Saturated black currant flavors with cedar and clove spice. Liked this a lot, too.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:02 pm

Shouldn't that be "Roo in the Headlights?" Kangaroos are Australia's road kill equivalent to deer in the US.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:05 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Shouldn't that be "Roo in the Headlights?" Kangaroos are Australia's road kill equivalent to deer in the US.

-Paul W.

True, that. So much so that the bar some people in rural areas install in front of their car/truck grills here in the U.S. because of deer, which I've also heard referred to as a 'cow catcher', are called Roo Bars down under.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:39 pm

2015 Cote-Rotie Dom. Georges Vernay "Blonde du Seigneur" . I intended to open a Jasmin 2010 tonight to contribute to the theme but could not find it. This wine was pretty much open for business with dark purple color and with an hour of decant showed lots of herbalness on the nose and little else. The palate eventually showed sour cherry and violet along with that herbal note and all elements came together to a smooth completeness after 2 hours. To really shine this wine needs 10-15 more years and should be at its best between 2025 and 2035. I'll wait on my other 5 for a few years. abv of %12.5
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:02 pm

The animal you DON'T want to hit in Australia is a wombat. Not fatal to the driver, like hitting a moose around here, but it will total your car.

-Paul W.
Previous