The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TNR: Quails' Gate Limited Release Merlot 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

TNR: Quails' Gate Limited Release Merlot 2004

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:50 pm

Somone gave me a bottle last weekend. Have enjoyed a number of Quails' Gate wines over the years, but not the Merlot.

Does anyone have any recent experience with this? Would be most interested in food pairing suggestions.

Thanks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TNR: Quails' Gate Limited Release Merlot 2004

by Jenise » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:50 pm

Bruce, nice gift. I've actually tasted this wine. I didn't take notes at the time, but I remember it being a Big Boy--ripe and somewhat extracted with a lot of licorice and dark chocolate stuff going on. Foodwise I'd go bold--BBQ beef ribs, that kind of thing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:47 pm

Thanks Jenise. That is the sort of thing the back label advised, but I have learned to not always trust the back label of a bottle.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:10 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:Thanks Jenise. That is the sort of thing the back label advised, but I have learned to not always trust the back label of a bottle.

I hear you. But you can generally rely, from what I've tasted, on Quail's Gate Limited Releases to be more steroidal than not. I don't even think they make the LRs of every varietal every year vs making them only when they get the kind of fruit that would support a release.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov