The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What About Gimmicks?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

What About Gimmicks?

by AaronW » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:16 am

Recently I posted a TN that included a wine called "Vampire" and it was produced in Transylvania, Romania and released during Halloween time; something that is obviously novelty, or what I would call a marketing gimmick. I'm not saying it's bad. Marketing is fraught with gimmick. Why, because it sells product; it's a great, proven marketing technique to a point. Hey, it worked on me -- I bought several bottles!

Anyway, I was just wondering if forumites have had any similar experiences with wine that has been marketed with a gimmick of any kind and whether or not it persuaded you to buy. Also, just for curiosity's sake, it would be interesting to discover just how many "gimmick wines" there actually are out there.

Later, Aaron.
"Wine can of their wits the wise beguile;
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile."

- Homer 900 B.C.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: What About Gimmicks?

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:28 pm

Well..a large commercial winery owned by Constellation, Heublein or similar that markets its wine as being produced by a "family" or "artisan wine makers" is a pretty common example of gimmick to me. :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:44 pm

Depend's on your definition of the word "gimmick".

The definition of the word is: an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.

That leaves the possibilities wide open and can include any of the following:
Flashy labels meant to attract attention.
Cute labels, especially those containing animals.
Humorous labels like Fat Bastard or Il Bastardo.
Or even wines given exotic names to seem like something Europe would offer like Chateau Ste. Michelle.

Is it good for the wine industry? Yes... many people buy because of packaging, it's just the way it is. A wine producer that doesn't put any thought into labeling is hamstringing him/herself. They walk into a wine shop and are instantly overwhelmed by literally hundreds of wines. What's a muscadet? Is a sangiovese anything like a merlot?

I will say that initially, packaging [and price] were huge influences on whether or not I'd buy a bottle of wine, because I didn't know what the hell I was doing. [I still don't, really.] It's led me to a couple decent and inexpensive table wines that I wouldn't mind buying a case of to drink as everyday. Now, though, I'm more willing to ask for and trust recommendations, it's why I'm on this forum.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:21 pm

The wine department at my local supermarket generally sorts the wine on the shelves conventionally, that is, by grape varietal and country of origin. However, in the last month or so they have started a new section right near the front of the wine department.... wine bottles with cool names/labels. So we now have a section stocked solely with bottles such as Fat Bastard, Mad Housewife, Pinot Evil, etc. without regard to varietal or origin.

What is the world coming to?

Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:29 pm

A friend brought me as a housewarming gift Zen of Zin (zinfandel bottle) dressed in Chinese clothing and with Chinese character (and English translation) charms to put around the stemware so you know which is your glass. That's pretty gimmicky but doesn't mean the wine is faulty.

Isn't there some wine sold in a fish-shaped bottle (hint: to accompany fish)?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:15 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Isn't there some wine sold in a fish-shaped bottle

It's the Verdicchio that Thomas loves to hate.