The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Piece of Shit

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Piece of Shit

by Jenise » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:06 pm

2018 Cocobon Chardonnay Roasted Oak California
A confected monstrosity with notes of suntan lotion and burnt skin. I'll pair up with the last guy on CT who gave it a 64 rating.

Bully Pulpit ala Tom Hill: So just when you think you've trained someone to like better wine, they show up with this piece of shit from, I'm guessing, Trader Joe's, who sometimes have some gems among their six dollar pieces of shit but this one is a gen-u-wine total piece of shit. Don't be fooled, unless you like pieces of shit.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Ahhhhh...Well...

by TomHill » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Jenise wrote:2018 Cocobon Chardonnay Roasted Oak California
A confected monstrosity with notes of suntan lotion and burnt skin. I'll pair up with the last guy on CT who gave it a 64 rating.

Bully Pulpit ala Tom Hill: So just when you think you've trained someone to like better wine, they show up with this piece of shit from, I'm guessing, Trader Joe's, who sometimes have some gems among their six dollar pieces of shit but this one is a gen-u-wine total piece of shit. Don't be fooled, unless you like pieces of shit.

Ahhhh, well...Jenise. Not the first time my name has been tossed out there on the InterNet w/ a piece of shit!!
Tom
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: WTN: Piece of Shit

by John S » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:24 pm

Tell us how you really feel! :shock: :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Sounds like it's right up there with Bonny Doon's wine-in-a-can.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:20 pm

Jenise, I'll avoid any Cocobon at TJs. If, however, there is a need for a cheap party wine....

My mother-in-law is even more frugal than I am re: wine. Yes, it is possible. One NY Eve she served Barefoot Bubbly. There was leftover Bubbly, duh. I opened the refrigerator and it had been stored. I quickly, quietly poured the stuff down the drain. She never mentioned it....

She lives in an area without TJs. So she buys a lot of Yellow Tail (About $7 in her locale). And puts all of it, white or red, in her refrigerator. So when we visit we take out a red for a while before pouring.

Recently, I bought 2019 Lindemans Bin 65, Chard, SE Australia for her. About $3 here, probably $4 outside of CA. In prior years, they have also had a Shiraz; none this year. Given the supply chain oddities, not surprising. But each year I've given her Lindemans she is very happy. Screwtop, pop and pour, recap, back in the refrigerator. She's happy so I'm happy. Never asked her if she prefers it over Yellow Tail....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:34 pm

Pat, if sugar's her magnet, then she's probably more into Yellow Tail but I sure agree with you that the Lindeman's is the better of the two. And you have to protect yourself in case you get stuck drinking it! If I had to drink cheap? Probably the La Veille Ferme line, widely available including TJ's. Or I'd play roulette with my six bucks at a Grocery Outlet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:38 pm

All these fine ladies should try Tate`s Ball Buster!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:59 pm

What's the price of this monstrosity?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:24 pm

Jenise, La Vielle Ferme is another good choice. Believe I've had white, rose' and red.

Via Wine Searcher in CA, Tait Ball Buster is $16 and up. YMMV. Not in my mother-in-law's range, but in mine for a weekend and/or splurge.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:58 pm

I'd think that the 'Roasted Oak' would have been enough of a warning to keep me far away.

But then you did invite them back, so it may not be the purveyor of that wine that isn't learning......
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:08 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I'd think that the 'Roasted Oak' would have been enough of a warning to keep me far away.

But then you did invite them back, so it may not be the purveyor of that wine that isn't learning......

It was my brother who brought it. I now have him drinking good pinot noirs, loving chateauneufs and craving Mordoree Tavel--so I *am* making progress! But oh woe, these goopy chardonnays.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:11 pm

Pat G wrote:Jenise, La Vielle Ferme is another good choice. Believe I've had white, rose' and red.

Via Wine Searcher in CA, Tait Ball Buster is $16 and up. YMMV. Not in my mother-in-law's range, but in mine for a weekend and/or splurge.

Haven't had the Tait though I've seen it around--the name alone wants me to keep it at more than arm's distance. :)
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:34 pm

Jenise wrote:2018 Cocobon Chardonnay Roasted Oak California

Maybe your friend is a fan of Rod Steward and the Feces.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:05 pm

Tim York wrote:What's the price of this monstrosity?

I'm guessing under $10. But if Chris spent more than $5 on it, he got robbed.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:10 pm

Sounds like the perfect wine for a recipe I saw. Starts with marinating tripe in red wine. Ends with "Throw tripe out and order pizza"