The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Halcon Days

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Halcon Days

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:13 pm

2018 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Alturas - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands (11/11/2020)
I opened a Halcon wine the other night, and enjoyed it so much that I had to open another one tonight. This time a straight Syrah did the trick, versus a GSM blend on Monday. I swear these wines are at least somewhat inspired by the work of Steve Edmunds. The varietal signature is clear, with black pepper, black fruit and a hint of road tar, but there's an essence hovering over the top that is impossible to peg as Syrah. It's not a grape, it's a place. I don't know the Yorkville Highlands area well enough to be sure it's really that, but it sure seems like a site at elevation - there's a space between the elements that grapes grown at altitude often show to me. It's not a smashed together melange, but a carefully curated scene of living air, water, earth, and the things that grow.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: Halcon Days

by SteveEdmunds » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:02 am

funny; I'd love to make wine from that vineyard
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...