The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wines with Tuesday Night Dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Wines with Tuesday Night Dinner

by Howie Hart » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:51 pm

I invited my boys and their lady friends over for dinner Tuesday night, as it was a nice way to help send off my youngest son back to Iraq. (see Friends and Fun "Good News"). I cooked up some steaks, salad, veggies and rice and served the following wines:

1999 Domaine Le Las des Collines Cotes du Rhone - (under $20 I believe) 13% abv. Sour cherrys, tobacco and leather on the nose. Medium ruby color depth. Fairly high acid level and strong tannins, but medium finish. Pretty good wine that complemented the food nicely. On tasting the next night I realized the wine had a huge amount of sediment and I should have decanted it.

2001 Stratus Gamay - I purchased this at the winery in Niagara-On-The-Lake ($36 Cdn) during NiagaraCOOL '06. Deep color, medium red hue - no purple, no bricking. Very intense bouquet of sweet cherries with hints of tobacco. Very long finish with soft tannins hitting everywhere in the mouth. While high priced for Canadian Gamay this is the best red wine I've had in a while. Excellent!

2002 Dienhard Beerenauslese Rheinhessen - 10%abv. An inexpensive wine I picked up a while ago (>$10 - 375ml). Perfectly sound sweet dessert wine - melons and pears. Grape variety not listed on the label.

2005 Johnson Estate Vidal Ice Wine - 9.5% abv. 14% RS. 36 deg Brix at harvest. (About $20). This was a very nice ice wine - caramel, appricots and peaches. From the Lake Eries district of NY in Chataqua County this rivals ice wines from the Niagara Peninsula at more than twice the price. They also make a Delaware ice wine that is only available at the wiery. Very nice and good QPR.

Nice dinner, nice wines and we all had a good time. See, sometimes I drink "store-bought" wines. :wink:
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: Wines with Tuesday Night Dinner

by Victorwine » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:13 pm

Great news Howie, hope you enjoy the few extra days with your son!
I too have enjoyed the Deinhard BA, down-state I think we pay something like $11 for a slit bottle. I think it may be a blend of the early ripening cross-breed Ortega and the late ripening Scheurebe.

Salute
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:38 am

I did not know that Stratus did a Gamay!! Sounds like one to look out for eh. I have found the reds from here quite tannic on release but they sure sell here in AB. Thanks Howie. How is the bottling line coming along!!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:00 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I did not know that Stratus did a Gamay!! Sounds like one to look out for eh. I have found the reds from here quite tannic on release but they sure sell here in AB. Thanks Howie. How is the bottling line coming along!!
With the holidays, followed by the two boys home from Iraq and a problem with frozen pipes (a long story) things have ground to a halt, but should pick up shortly. I'm planning on doing a few interesting white hybrid blends, but will post a separate thread when I get to them. :wink:
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:36 am

A beerenauslese and an ice wine? Oh wretched excess!

(I'm just jealous :D )