The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Davila, Portugal, Chambolle-Musigny, Bonnezeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Davila, Portugal, Chambolle-Musigny, Bonnezeaux

by Saina » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:53 pm

A good friend of mine is leaving to take up a job in Ankara, Turkey so during the weekend's farewell party it was time to once again break my wine fast (it really doesn't seem like I'm making an effort to stay of wine does it? ;) ) for the second time this week.

Adegas Valmiñor Rías Baixas Davila 2005 13%

Fresh, mineral, salty, apricotty nose. The palate is intense and acidic and highly mineral but with lots of fruit. What a nice wine!

We tried drinking a Quinta do Alqueve Ancestral 2001 from Ribatejo, but it was corked. For what it's worth, I've before thought it a nice, savoury, tannic and acidic wine with red toned fruit, a bit stern but very Portuguese - unlike most other wines from Alqueve which are incredibly spoofy.

Maison Champy Chambolle-Musigny Les Bussieres 2004 13%

Quite a nice little wine. The nose is sweetly fruity, with lots of Pinosity and beetroot and a nice earthyness. The almost sweet/strawberry-like brightness that I so often find in Chambolle is well in evidence also. The palate is sweetly fruity, with some delightful bitter tones, but only moderate acidity. The minerality is very strong and verges on the metallic, but still manages to stay on the lovable side. Nice! This is very approachable now. I've never tasted anything from Maison Champy before but remember reading somewhere that they aren't too nice. Apparently my memory failed me since this was a very enjoyable drop indeed.

Château de Fesles Bonnezeaux 1997 13%

Gold. Intensely botrytised nose - great fun to sniff but is so heavily rotten that it's hard to find any Chenin character underneath! The palate is plump and supremely sweet but has enough structure not to be cloying. A very nice drop, but I can't see the Chenin in it.

Cheers,
-O-
Last edited by Saina on Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Davila, Portugal, Chambolle-Musigny, Bonnezeaux

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:20 pm

No great experience with Champy, but attended a tasting once and have had a few other wines. Not stellar, but solid, and usually well-priced. I've preferred their Volnays to the Cote de Nuits wines, overall. Of course, I think of Chambolle as more on the Volnay end of the spectrum so would happily try their Chambolle.

Thanks for notes
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Davila, Portugal, Chambolle-Musigny, Bonnezeaux

by Saina » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:49 pm

Dale, unfortunately not well priced here: this was 30€! I think that's a bit on the steep side for a village wine? I'll be sure not to pass by some again if I come across any for cheap.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.