The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two New Bucklin Wines...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two New Bucklin Wines...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:41 pm

Tried these two last night:
1. Bucklin Mixed Whites OldHillRanch SonomaVlly/SonomaCnty (13.6%; Plntd: 2010; 64 cs; Muscat/French Colombard/Chasselas/Clairette Blanc from Old Hill Ranch; Gewürztraminer/Trousseau Gris/Riesling from Compagni-Portis Vineyard; Muscadelle from Casa Santinamaria; Malvasia/Grenache Blanc from Rossi Ranch; Chenin Blanc from Carlisle) 2020: Light gold color; quite fragrant floral/carnations light chalky/mineral rather old-timey/Sebastiani GreyRiesling-like quite attractive lovely nose; lightly tart/tangy/bit metallic rather flral/carnations/gardenias some chalky/stony/mineral balanced fairly rich somewhat old-timey quite interesting flavor; very long lightly tart/tangy fairly strong floral/carnations/gardenias light chalky/mineral rather old-timey Calif white finish; a rather interesting old-timey/bit rustic Calif white that reminds a bit of GusSebastiani's GreenHungarian but not as bland & much richer, a bhit of Carlisle or Bedrock Compagni-Portis; quite a pretty/interesting white. $28.00
2. Bucklin Bambino FieldBlend Zin OldHillRanch SonomaVlly/SonomaCnty (14.2%; Plntd: 1998; 1278 cs; + PetiteSirah/AlicanteBouschet) 2019: Med.dark color; very bright raspberry/blackberry/Zin/quite spicy slight earthy bit vanilla/Am.oak slight SV/peppery quite attractive nose; fairly tart bright/Zin/blackberry/raspberry/spicy some vanilla/Am.oak bit SV/peppery quite attractive flavor w/ light brisk tannins; very long bright//brisk/blackberry Zin/raspberry bit SV/peppery light Am.oak/vanilla rather spicy finish w/ light brisk tannins; a quite attractive bright/spicy Zin that speaks strongly of SonomaVlly Zin; reminds a bit of the old St.Francis or Wellington Zins; a lovely Zin at a great price. $24.00
1. I really liked the Mixed Whites. Usually when you blend such a group of varieties, you get a wine that comes out gray more than anything. This was not. But there was not a single variety that I could describe as dominate in the blend.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Two New Bucklin Wines...(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:49 pm

So are you implying the Bambino was made using American oak (it’s not), or that you just get some of the flavor/aroma elements?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Nope..

by TomHill » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:55 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:So are you implying the Bambino was made using American oak (it’s not), or that you just get some of the flavor/aroma elements?

The flavor & aromas were mostly vanilla, which suggested to me more Am.oak than anything. But what would I know??
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:16 pm

Could have looked it up. That’s all I did.

I am not mentioning it to pull your chain. I am mentioning it because people (including me) follow your notes, and some of those people (not me!) are put off by any mention of American oak.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well..

by TomHill » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:25 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Could have looked it up. That’s all I did.

I am not mentioning it to pull your chain. I am mentioning it because people (including me) follow your notes, and some of those people (not me!) are put off by any mention of American oak.

Well, David....I could have very well looked it up...but didn't bother to.
It's not at all uncommon for me to confuse Am & Fr oak. I don't have any particular bias against Am oak.
Ridge does a very good job w/ their Am oak because the effort they put into having it made to their specs.
And when it comes to EastEuropean oak like Stockinger, I'm totally clueless. Which we'll try this Wed.

And it's alright to jerk my chain, David. I raised a teenage daughter on my very own. You have no idea the amount of
abuse I can take!!
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:30 pm

Don’t feel bad. I couldn’t pick a Stockinger barrel out of a lineup.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well...

by TomHill » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:35 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Don’t feel bad. I couldn’t pick a Stockinger barrel out of a lineup.

Well, David....I'm not so sure the Stockinger oak is particularly distinctive. The only wine I know is Stockinger based
I've had is the Staves of Waidhofen, though I'm sure Martha Stouman uses some. But, man, when you look at
a Stockinger barrel...you're looking at a real piece of craftsmanship.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

Re: Well...

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:53 pm

TomHill wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Don’t feel bad. I couldn’t pick a Stockinger barrel out of a lineup.

Well, David....I'm not so sure the Stockinger oak is particularly distinctive. The only wine I know is Stockinger based
I've had is the Staves of Waidhofen, though I'm sure Martha Stouman uses some. But, man, when you look at
a Stockinger barrel...you're looking at a real piece of craftsmanship.
Tom

Yes. They are beautiful.

I think Cody used some Stockinger on his new Sauvignon Blanc. Not sure if that’s the right wine. He mentioned it on the Bedrock podcast.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:44 pm

I was only introduced to Bucklin wines two months ago, and I now own a few. Great stuff, would love to try that white.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov