The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Pinot Noir Suggestions

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Pinot Noir Suggestions

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:22 pm

The theme from our next monthly wine club meeting is going to be Pinot Noir, and we're going to have everyone bring a bottle from a different world region.

Does anyone have any suggestions for areas (aside from the obvious Burgundy) that would represent this grape well (and differently!). I've thought of Oregon and New Zealand, but I'd appreciate any additional thoughts or suggestions.

Also, we're trying to keep it under $20 per bottle (although I'm personally willing to spend more and will probably do so w/ something from Cote de Nuits).

Thanks - as always!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Pinot Noir Suggestions

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:25 pm

Gruet from New Mexico. Might be slightly more than $20 per.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:31 pm

Alto Adige in Italy? Try Hofstätter's Meczan Pinot Nero 2004 - should be under 20 and should be available widely. It does need a couple hours in the decanter, but is a really nice, inexpensive wine with high Pinosity.

Hamilton Russell and Meerlust make intriguing variants of the variety in S Africa - but I really don't know if they can be found for less than 20.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:16 pm

How could I forget: Movia in Slovenia makes a fantastic Pinot that costs about 15€ here, so might very well be in your budget there also! I recently had the 2001 (I think it's the most recent release) and it was superb but young. Slovenia seems to be a country for those of us on a budget - if only the wines were more readily available.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:17 pm

Spatburgunder from Germany
Sancerre Rouge
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:21 pm

Bernard mentioned what I was going to--the 05 Sancerres are being released right now and one of those would be rather smashing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

by Tom V » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:33 pm

Millbrook Vineyards in New York's Hudson Valley makes some very nice PN. Their regular bottling is right around $20. and then they have a Reserve at about $30. This is the Winery of the rather vinously famous Dr. Konstantin Frank. Very good wines. You can find them online and I believe they ship. Tom V
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:32 pm

Austrian Pinots can be very nice. Kinda expensive, though, after importation.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:34 pm

K Story wrote:Also, we're trying to keep it under $20 per bottle (although I'm personally willing to spend more and will probably do so w/ something from Cote de Nuits).

I find it very difficult, but not impossible, to discover Pinot Noir under $20 that possesses the nose and flavor of typical PN. Many labels in this price range are indistinguishable from a generic red wine. Having said that, I would offer the following:

Samantha Starr - Mendocino
Mark West - Central Coast
Castle Rock - Sonoma, Monterey, or Willamette
Hang Time
Hook & Ladder

As far as other areas, I believe the Russian River Valley in California has a reputation for good PN.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:54 pm

Echo, echo; Mark West and Castle Rock. Most of the international suggestions are right on too. Tho we love Sancerre Rouge, haven't seen many under $20.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:25 am

Unfortunately, $20 is the low-side threshold for interesting Pinot Noir these days. You can thank the colliding worlds of 'Sideways' and the all-feeble dollar for that. If you raise the bar to 'under $30 or $40' (hell, buy half as many bottles and split the cost) everyone will go home happy.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:44 am

From Chile there is the Cono Sur range which offers some variety with five different Pinots produced. I've tasted two.
Cono Sur 20 Barrrels Pinot Noir has depth and intensity with velvety tannins and a lush finish. I thought it very good.
The Cono Sur Reserve is lighter and more easy going, more strawberryish. I relate it to a cheaper Marlborough or Central Otago (New Zealand) style.
http://www.conosur.com/eng/index.html
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:51 am

Coldstream Hills, one can`t go wrong.

Interesting article about this place here....................

http://www.wineanorak.com

Scroll down right hand side!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:01 am

Sue Courtney wrote:From Chile there is the Cono Sur range which offers some variety with five different Pinots produced. I've tasted two.
Cono Sur 20 Barrrels Pinot Noir has depth and intensity with velvety tannins and a lush finish. I thought it very good.
The Cono Sur Reserve is lighter and more easy going, more strawberryish. I relate it to a cheaper Marlborough or Central Otago (New Zealand) style.

Sue, I cannot keep up with all the happenings on your website!!! See another new feature today, site feed? Whats that all about? The blog is terrific stuff, how do you find the time for all of this?!!!

BTW the ConoSur notes are spot on. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:34 am

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll share this link w/ the group, and I'll post our notes after our event, which looks like it will be on March 15.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:18 am

the 05 Sancerres are being released right now and one of those would be rather smashing.

Ditto.

You might check MacArthur to see if they have the Domaine Vacheron Sancerre rouge -- one of the best exemplars of the style, IMHO. You're less likely to find any, but Menetou-Salon rouge would be a more than worthy substitute.

Sancerre or Menetou-Salon would give you the light, fragrant, floral, minerally end of the Pinot Noir spectrum.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:23 pm

Another slightly offbeat suggestion: J. P. Brun's (Terres Dorees) Pinot Noir from Beaujolais AOC. Technically, it can still be considered Burgundy (I think), but can't be labeled Bougogne legally, so qualifies as a different beast. Brun's '04 Pinot can be had for ~$20.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:07 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
Sue Courtney wrote:From Chile there is the Cono Sur range which offers some variety with five different Pinots produced. I've tasted two.

Sue, I cannot keep up with all the happenings on your website!!! See another new feature today, site feed? Whats that all about? The blog is terrific stuff, how do you find the time for all of this?!!!

BTW the ConoSur notes are spot on. Thanks.

Thanks Bob. Blogging is hard work, but hey - we eat .... we drink .... we blog.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:32 pm

Another Aussie suggestion is Rosemount Diamond label - light, fruity, quaffable but definitely within the budget.
You might also be able to find the 'Bay of Fires' Pinot Noir from Tasmania, a rather more serious version, cool climate, etc. It's from the Hardy Wine Company, thus part of the Constellation Brand's massive holdings and maybe available in the USA.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:52 pm

Sebastiani PN sounds like a match if you don't already have a Calif selection. They've really been hitting the mark for PN, IMHO, since 2001.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:52 pm

This is great feedback, thanks so much to everyone. I'm sure we'll be able to come up with quite a nice variety with all these suggestions.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:26 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Gruet from New Mexico. Might be slightly more than $20 per.

Gruet makes Pinot? I'll have to look for that!
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

John Fiola

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:57 pm

Boston, MA

Tohu Pinot Noir

by John Fiola » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:56 pm

Try the Pinot Noir from Tohu wines (NZ).
It hovers around the $20 mark but is a good and relatively (?) inexpensive Marlborough Pinot Noir

As a side note Tohu is owned by the Maori (the indigenous population in NZ)
Cheers,
John
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:32 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Sebastiani PN sounds like a match if you don't already have a Calif selection. They've really been hitting the mark for PN, IMHO, since 2001.

Jon, I could not agree more. Some excellent wines lately.
Next