The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Another rare grape, Verdil

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Another rare grape, Verdil

by Jenise » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:09 pm

2020 Bodegas Antonio Arráez Valencia Los Arraez Verdil
A big-bodied, big attitude, main course kind of white wine from an ancient, nearly extinct grape called verdil, produced by only three wineries on the planet, all near Valencia. Big perfumed nose that follows through to the palate with flavors of parmesan, preserved lemon, clams, saffron and hay. Not a refreshing, palate-cleanser style wine but something to save for big moments like paella or smoked seafood stews. We tried with various cold items from the fridge, and aged gouda was the runaway hit. Btw, alcohol only 12.5%.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

HeyHeyHey...

by TomHill » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:48 pm

HeyHeyHey, Jenise....I'm the only one who's allowed to taste obscure grapes like this!!!
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: WTN: Another rare grape, Verdil

by Jenise » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:14 pm

Not trying to steal your thunder! But this is truly about as offbeat as it gets.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Hmmmm...

by TomHill » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:57 pm

Jenise wrote:Not trying to steal your thunder! But this is truly about as offbeat as it gets.

Hmmmm, Jenise... who was the importer?
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:08 pm

This is a surprise. Someone I've never heard of, but they're in my town! Daqopa Brands, Bellingham, Washington.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:16 pm

So I just googled him, a one-man operation. And in fact, I do know him or at least I met him once over the phone. Not a wine geek but more of a hustler type, imports lower-priced wine mostly from Spain, sells most in flash sales.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Awww..

by TomHill » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:06 pm

Jenise wrote:So I just googled him, a one-man operation. And in fact, I do know him or at least I met him once over the phone. Not a wine geek but more of a hustler type, imports lower-priced wine mostly from Spain, sells most in flash sales.

Awwww, Jenise....sounds like you are easily hustled.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:08 am

Yes and no! He apparently sold his entire lot (50 6 bottle cases) to a retailer in Anacortes who I like. Fairly expensive packaging that indicates it was intended to sell for a lot more than the $15/bottle I paid. And it drinks well above that price.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:56 pm

That would make a nice starter wind at a blind tasting....just saying. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:58 pm

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:17 pm

Bill, thanks for the extra info. Nice to read the pro description that matched my tasting notes pretty well--I had no idea what to expect, the retailer's short pitch was mostly about the rarity and only included the descriptor "refreshing" which is not a word I'd use for it at all. Would be killer with some cold smoked salmon.