The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

More Pennsylvania madness

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Lizbeth S

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Philadelphia, PA

More Pennsylvania madness

by Lizbeth S » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:03 pm

The state has now shot down selling beer at the local Sheetz.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07055/764655-28.stm

Apparently, convenience stores cannot sell alcohol because the law allowing corner bars to sell to the public specifically states that purchasers be allowed to drink on the selling premisis. Thus, the convenience store would have to first provide a spot within the store for beer-buyers to cosume their purchase. :shock: For some strange reason, I don't believe THAT was the law's intent! (Although picturing a bunch of "yinzers" drinking amongst the Made-to-Order and candy bars is slighly amusing.)

My first thought is that I'm looking forward to moving to Philly (only 6 more months!) so I can easily drive to other states to buy alcohol!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: More Pennsylvania madness

by James Roscoe » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:47 pm

The other good news about moving to Philly is that Paulo lives there! Of course the winters aren't nearly as bad in Philly as in Pittsburgh, you can get to Chambers in NYC in two hours to buy wine and down to Mac Arthurs in DC in three hours. Of course NJ is just across the river. Other than that you are just switching obnoxious Steelers fans for even more obnoxious Eagles fans. Philly has better culture and better food, especially the pizza. I would consider it a general trade up having lived in both places and having family continuing to live in both places. Heck, Bill Cowher got out of there like a NASA rocket!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:47 pm

Sometimes I think the spirits of Rod Serling and Franz Kafka walk the earth together and instigate this stuff.
And now what?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:15 am

If you are in Philly then you are easy driving distance to Canal's in Hainesport, NJ. Joe Huber runs a great shop there.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:39 am

You migh have a better chance of getting mugged in Philly than P-burgh, but the risk may be worth it.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:03 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:You migh have a better chance of getting mugged in Philly than P-burgh, but the risk may be worth it.

I was held up at gunpoint in Pittsburgh where I lived for three years. That never happened to me in my twenty years in the Philadelphia area. Of course I was in a rough area of Pittsburgh and lived in a nice 'burb in Philly.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:35 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:Sometimes I think the spirits of Rod Serling and Franz Kafka walk the earth together and instigate this stuff.

I like many things that Rod Serling did, but in the same breath as Kafka, not really in my book.