The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 4 countries

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: 4 countries

by Florida Jim » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:05 pm

N/V Colet, Cava A Priori:
Energetic bead, clean aromas and flavors and not as earthy as many Cavas – more Champagne-esque. 11.5% alcohol, imported by Vinos and Gourmet and about $15; I’d buy it again.

2000 Banfi, Brunello di Montalcino:
It smells and tastes like Brunello but it bears a new world sheen and polish that makes it seem more generic. I like it and am happy to drink it but, for the prices charged these days, I won’t buy it. 13% alcohol, imported by Banfi Vintners, price unknown; I won’t buy it. Thanks Mary-Lynn.

2004 Peay, Syrah Les Titans:
Aromatically enticing with earth, red and black fruit and even hints of bacon; less so on the palate as there is a sweetness that detracts from the overall flavor, very fine but abundant tannins and good length. A good wine that falls just short for me – I think it may be the 14.2% alcohol that bumps up the sweetness factor – or maybe it’s the clones (Estrella, 174 and UCD1, as well as some Côte Rôtie clones). This wine makes me more determined than ever to one day grow Côte Rôtie clones in CA and pick them before the brix get so high. Price unknown; thanks Alan.

2000 Louis Michel, ChablisLes Clos:
Too early to this one; beautifully chiseled aromas of lemon zest, mineral and white fruit but not expansive; tight in the mouth with similar flavors, fine acidity and a slightly thin texture; great length. Needs another 5 years minimum and probably more. A very good wine opened before its time. 13% alcohol, imported by Vineyard Brands and about $42 on release; I’d buy it again at that price.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: 4 countries

by James Roscoe » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:05 pm

Florida Jim wrote:2004 Peay, Syrah Les Titans:
Aromatically enticing with earth, red and black fruit and even hints of bacon; less so on the palate as there is a sweetness that detracts from the overall flavor, very fine but abundant tannins and good length. A good wine that falls just short for me – I think it may be the 14.2% alcohol that bumps up the sweetness factor – or maybe it’s the clones (Estrella, 174 and UCD1, as well as some Côte Rôtie clones). This wine makes me more determined than ever to one day grow Côte Rôtie clones in CA and pick them before the brix get so high. Price unknown; thanks Alan.

[Best, Jim

Go for it Jim! Or better yet talk Steve Edmunds into doing it so you don't lose your shirt and most of your retirement savings in the effort. I will admit that it might be a fun way to thow away the retirement savings.

Great notes as always. Keep up the good work!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.