The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bethel Heights, Ash Hollow, Alexandra N, Van Duzer, D'Issan, Tyrell's

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Bethel Heights, Ash Hollow, Alexandra N, Van Duzer, D'Issan, Tyrell's

by Jenise » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:17 pm

2005 Bethel Heights Pinot Blanc
Opened to serve with some home smoked salmon and crackers. Should be a no-brainer for almost any white wine to show well with that, but the 14.3% alcohol threw off too much heat and ruined the match.

2005 Tyrrell's Verdelho, Hunter Valley
Has all the intensity you'd hope for from Tyrrell's and Hunter Valley in spite of the vapid reputation of the grape. Bold, assertive and structural, with lime and white nectarine notes. Plenty of acid to age 5-10 years, in fact I hope to get more for that purpose.

At a small dinner party hosted by friends Jim and Pat:

2004 Ash Hollow Merlot, Columbia Valley
So Steve Clifton of Brewer-Clifton fame has decided to start his own venture in Walla Walla, and here's a bottle. Blind, I'd have never guessed in a million years this was a Washington wine, for it has none of the saturated blueberry and chocolate stuff. Rather, it's very European, St. Emilion-like with restrained red fruit, minerals and tobacco notes. Yes! It can be done! Last wine of the night and everybody's favorite of the modern wines. *

2003 Alexandra Nicole Syrah, Columbia Valley
Another wine that defies Washington state typecasting with a lot of savoury notes and less than 14% alcohol. A well crafted wine of restraint and style. *

2004 Van Duzer Pinot Noir Dijon Blocks, Willamette
Comparing this wine mentally to the 2002 Estate I fondly remember, it
came across as more extracted. But pleasantly so, with rich and nervy pinot noir fruit and an elegant finish. One of those crossover wines that will please geeks and newbies alike--there's something here for everyone. *

1984 D'Issan, Margaux
Every time I mention this wine I know Dale W shakes his head in disbelief, but not only is this wine good, this last bottle of a lot of five I bought was by far the best of all. I regret having drunk the others before now--they showed well, but they hadn't reached the station I now realize. This one was completely settled; it poured very clear and showed sweet dusty cherry fruit with dried roses and a little caramel. The tannins were completely resolved but it had enough acidity to hold the wine in the glass, no fading. Wish I had more.

* These wines were all purchased by our host at a new wine shop at SeaTac airport, and were all reccomended to him by the proprietor. They are technically a store, not a restaurant, so the prices are retail, and yet you can purchase wines by the glass like a wine bar. There is also comfortable furniture--so you can do as poor Jim who missed his Bellingham connection by minutes and had to wait four hours for the next flight did, get some food, order a glass, and set up your laptop to get a little extra work done, all while discussing wines during lulls with a guy who really knows what he's doing and isn't promoting the populist wines you'd tend to expeect in that setting.
Last edited by Jenise on Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WTN: Bethel Heights, Ash Hollow, Alexandra N, Van Duzer, D'Issan, Tyrel

by Bob Ross » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:57 pm

With a store like that, I'd miss those flights on purpose, Jenise. :)

Thanks for the notes.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: Bethel Heights, Ash Hollow, Alexandra N, Van Duzer, D'Issan, Tyrell's

by Bill Hooper » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:10 pm

You know what is very good? Bethel Heights Chardonnay. Being a domestic chard hater, it is very hard for me to write that :D.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:34 pm

Bill I know, we've enjoyed many a past bottle and that's why we were open to trying this one. But no, instead once again a case is made for ripping out all the domestic p.b. vines. Sigh.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:19 pm

Jenise wrote:1984 D'Issan, Margaux
Every time I mention this wine I know Dale W shakes his head in disbelief, but not only is this wine good, this last bottle of a lot of five I bought was by far the best of all. I regret having drunk the others before now--they showed well, but they hadn't reached the station I now realize. This one was completely settled; it poured very clear and showed sweet dusty cherry fruit with dried roses and a little caramel. The tannins were completely resolved but it had enough acidity to hold the wine in the glass, no fading. Wish I had more.

Moi? Did I comment on these? I don't recall ever having the '84 d'Issan (though both the '83 & '85 were recently better imho than the chateau's rep at the time). I do admit that my very limited tasting of '84s in general haven't left me a fan. None were dead- tannins and acids propping them up- but none made me happy. Only the Pape-Clement was actually BAD, others just too hard for me. I'd happily taste any that were offered to me, but don't think I'd fork out any serious money for.

I've had plenty of Bordeaux from "bad" vintages that I enjoyed ('92 LLC!), but one must tread carefully- conventional wisdom does have a basis in reality, even if it isn't the totality of reality. Given my druthers, I'll choose an '83 over an '84.

cheers!
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Re: WTN: Bethel Heights, Ash Hollow, Alexandra N, Van Duzer, D'Issan, Tyrel

by Jason Hagen » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:34 pm

Great stuff!

What is the cost of the Ash Hollow?

The D'Issan sounds nice. It is amazing how long it takes some of those wines to reach their potential.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:08 pm

Dale said:
Did I comment on these? ... I do admit that my very limited tasting of '84s in general haven't left me a fan. None were dead- tannins and acids propping them up- but none made me happy.

You didn't say you had the wine, you were just surprised for the reasons you cited here that an 84 D'Issan would still be good (if in fact it ever was). Bill Spohn expressed likewise. And so I honestly expected every bottle after the first to be DOA, and so it has been completely amazing that every bottle just got better, and this last one was finally so very very good. No one, apparently, would have predicted it.

Jason asked:
What is the cost of the Ash Hollow?

Apparently quite reasonable, like mid-20's.

The D'Issan sounds nice. It is amazing how long it takes some of those wines to reach their potential.

It does, and I don't have the experience to step into the life of an 84 vintage wine at 20 years old and judge whether it's on it's way to reaching it's highest potential (middlin' as that might have been for an 84) or already past it. I presumed the latter on this wine because everyone with more experience than I with old Bdx was so surprised it was still kicking at all--apparently we were all wrong!