The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

DougMcCrea/McCreaWineCellars???

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

DougMcCrea/McCreaWineCellars???

by TomHill » Wed May 11, 2022 3:08 pm

Anybody know what's going on at McCrea Cellars??? Any recent experience w/ their wines?? Are they still in business??

McCrea Cllrs was founded by Doug McCrea way back in the '90's to focus on Rhone varietals from WashState. He would be showing
his wines at HdR & RhoneRangers. His marketing lady was Susan Neel. The wines were, at the time, some of the best Rhones outta WashState.
McCrea Cellars is now apparently owned by Susan & Bob Neel. The WebSite is terribly stale, offering wines from the early 2000 vintages.
The WebSite makes no mention of Doug.
He apparently started the Salida wine bar in Yelm WA and now makes Spanish style WashState wines under the Salida Cellars label.
Anybody had any of these Spanish-style wines. This is not to be confused w/ the Vino Salida Cellars, a wnry in CO that makes wine.
https://greatnorthwestwine.com/2015/04/23/doug-mccrea-podcast/

Anyhow....just sorta curious about the back story on Doug McCrea, an old....errrrr....long-time friend I've not seen in yrs.

Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: DougMcCrea/McCreaWineCellars???

by Jenise » Thu May 12, 2022 11:34 am

I tasted a few McCreas when I moved up here and found them sweet, brown sugar sweet vs. fruit, but at the time I didn't care much for syrah if it wasn't Northern Rhone so my old opinions are probably worthless--even to me. I used to get invited to tasting parties (never went, too far) at the Neel's home in Seattle but those stopped coming about two years ago, and I never see the McCrea label in wine shops. I'll dig around....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: DougMcCrea/McCreaWineCellars???

by Jenise » Sat May 14, 2022 1:19 pm

So I got another email from Bob and Sue Neel yesterday. They're selling off the library wines, $300/case. Sounds like a going-out-of-business sale, though they're not calling it that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov