The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Estate of the Union

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Estate of the Union

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:06 pm

2011 Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Estate - USA, California, Santa Cruz Mountains (7/4/2022)
4th of July weekend, so time for homemade burgers and American Cabernet. Cab and cow! Tasted over two nights, this is still youthful, though it is integrating it’s rather heavy handed oak treatment. Spicy, with a dash of coconut, the fruit became stronger the longer it was open. By night two the fruit became the star performer, bright and elegant, supported by the oak and structure. Seems like a good sign for further aging. Good thing, as I have three more bottles.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Estate of the Union

by Dale Williams » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:11 am

While I love the MB, I think the estate doesn't get enough credit.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Estate of the Union

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:12 pm

While I generally agree, Eric Baugher had become controversial due to his increasing use of new barrels on the Estate. Of course he was also dealing with riper and riper vintages. This 2011 saw some new oak, but at a lower % because it was a slower, cooler year. Somehow that cool year % became "gospel" for a few folks.

Folks started dropping Ridge memberships because they use "new, American oak" as if it was something that hadn't been done all along. I think that started the ball rolling that led to Eric's departure. When I talked to him in May 2019 it was certainly clear that he was chafing at the criticisms.
Decisions are made by those who show up