The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '01 Jadot Gevrey Chambertin Estournelles St. Jacques

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: '01 Jadot Gevrey Chambertin Estournelles St. Jacques

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:53 pm

Picked up a solid case of this for $25/bottle recently, so I figured it was worth checking in even though it would likely be closed down.

Initially very much closed down. Good color (ruby red) and not a whole lot else. Some air time brought out red fruit and eventually floral character. Very tight in the mouth, not showing much beyond tart red fruit. A few hours later it opened up and filled out some, but not very much. I saved some for a second night, and it did flesh out a little bit more, as well as gain aromatic depth, but it's still very much shut down. The hints that were there were nice, so there's lots of hope for the future, but it's just hope right now.

Hands off for 3-5 years I would say.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: '01 Jadot Gevrey Chambertin Estournelles St. Jacques

by Sam Platt » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:48 pm

David,

I was told by a Burg expert (Yak Shaya) never to drink any Burg of Village Cru, or above younger than seven years. I have now run close to a dozen unintentional experiments that prove him right. Sounds like you confirmed the hypothesis independently.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:53 pm

Indeed. I would never have opened this if I did not have a solid case (bought at a ridiculous price).
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:35 am

Even allowing for exchange rates, I reckon you paid less than a quarter of what the wine normally sells for over this side of the Pacific, David.

Jadot's better wines often look awkward/closed for many years after vintage. I would leave this for at least 5 years and probably more like ten, for it to be in the middle of its' peak drinking window. 2001 is a particularly structured year for red Burgs and patience with these better calibre Premier Cru's should be well rewarded.

In this case, your initial purchase price means opening one of these every couple of years ain't gonna break your heart/wallet! :wink: Good luck to you!
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:42 am

David,

I agree with you on the aging of this wine. I may open another bottle in 2-3 years but I doubt it.

The pricing of this wine was due to a store closing. They were clearing out inventory at fire sale prices. It usually retails for $50-$60/bottle for the 2001 and much more for more recent vintages.